Central & Eastern Turkey Heritage
[7 Days Tour]
Central & Eastern Turkey Heritage
See some of Turkey’s truly amazing natural and historical wonders in this memorable seven-day tour. Enjoy visiting central and south-east Turkey and admiring its fascinating giant statues dating back to 62 BC as well as the captivating troglodyte dwellings and fairy chimneys. Arrive in the beautiful city of Istanbul and continue your adventure in Cappadocia, with the spectacular Goreme open-air museum, the lunar landscape, and the Uchisar rock castle, where you have the chance to enjoy a panoramic view of the valleys below. Afterwards, have a memorable Mount Nemrut experience, before ending your trip in Malatya, a charming city in Eastern Anatolia.
Cappadocia: The Ancient region in central Anatolia, situated on the rugged plateau north of the Taurus Mountains, in the centre of present-day Turkey boasts a lunar-landscape and early Christain churches carved out of volcanic rock.
Mt. Nemrut: Have a breathtaking experience while exploring and admiring Mount Nemrut, an enchanting UNESCO World heritage site and memorial to the Gods and Kings of the ancient world.
Malatya: Explore a large city in Eastern Anatolia, praised for its rich history and delicious apricots.
- Operated with a fully escorted by English speaking tour guide
- 6 nights’ accommodation
- 6 breakfasts
- 1 lunch on day 6
- 1 dinner o day 3
ENTRANCE FEES AND ACTIVITIES:
- All entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary: Goreme Open Air Museum, Uchisar, Zelve – Pasabag, Avanos, Mount Nemrut, Malatya, Museum of Anatolian Civilisations, Mausoleum of Ataturk
- During transfers and tour based on newer air-conditioned vehicles.
- Inbound/Outbound transfers from and to the airport on shared basis.
- All applicable government taxes and fees. Any increases in VAT and other fees will be reflected to the per person prices.
- Meet & greet on day 1.
- International and domestic flights
- Admission fees
- Optional excursions and activities.
- Day 7: Last Day recommended flight number: TK 2631 MLX-IST
- Please note that local conditions prevalent at the time of travel may result in modifications to the tour contents without prior notice.
- Optional activity “Pre-night in Istanbul + Full Day Classical Istanbul Tour”: It consists of one extra previous night in Istanbul (client needs to arrive a day earlier the normal tour starts) with full day tour. Day 1 (This day corresponds with Day 1, arrival day in the original tour): The guide will meet you at the hotel reception at 09:00 in the morning. The tour begins with a visit to Topkapi Palace, which was used by the Ottoman Sultans from the 15th to 19th centuries. Here you will see the impressive collection of priceless jewels, crystal, silver and porcelain, robes worn by the sultans and relics of the prophet Mohammed. After lunch we will see the Blue Mosque, built for Sultan Ahmet I, which is a unique piece of architecture with its six minarets and features 20,000 beautiful blue Iznik tiles. This is followed by a visit to the ancient Hippodrome where you will see the Obelisk of Theodosius, Snake Pillar and the German Fountain of Wilhelm II. Afterwards we walk through the back streets of Old Istanbul and visit the Yerebatan underground Cistern. At the end of the tour we will have time to see the Grand Bazaar (except Sundays).
What do I need to bring?
Visitors should not wear sleeveless shirts, shorts, short skirts or skimpy clothing when visiting religious or official buildings in Turkey. Shoes should be removed before entering a mosque or private house. Sun protection, sun glasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay.
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 3 days or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 75% if booking is cancelled 10 days or less before event
Day 1 : ARRIVAL ISTANBUL
Arrive at Istanbul airport where a representative will meet and greet you before you are transferred to your hotel for check-in. Enjoy the afternoon at leisure, relaxing in the hotel or exploring the surroundings on your own.
Overnight in hotel in Istanbul.
Day 2 : ISTANBUL – ANKARA – CAPPADOCIA (770 kms – 8 hrs)
Take your breakfast box and depart at 05.00 in the morning. We begin the tour by driving to Ankara, the capital of Turkey (4.5hrs drive). On arrival at Ankara there will be a half day tour which will include the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations and the Mausoleum of Ataturk, founder of the Turkish Republic in 1923. We then continue our journey to Cappadocia (3.5 hrs), stopping on the way at the shores of the picturesque Salt Lake. Breakfast included
Overnight in Cappadocia.
Day 3 : CAPPADOCIA
Meet the guide after breakfast to begin a tour of the highlights of this fascinating region beginning with one of the many underground cities which proliferate in the area. These cities were built by the early Christians as a refuge from invading armies and could contain up to 3,000 people, having ventilation shafts, store rooms, oil and wine presses, going deep underground on many levels. Following a break for lunch (not included) there is a short climb up to the citadel of Uchisar, which was used as a watch tower; from here you will see Pigeon Valley named after the hundreds of pigeon houses built on the slopes of the valleys. There will also be an amazing panorama over the town of Goreme from Esentepe and Cevizlibag. This is followed by a visit to Goreme Open Air Museum which is populated with chapels and churches, carved out of the volcanic rock, with awe-inspiring frescoes dating from the 10th to 13th centuries. You will then take a short walk to Zelve – Avanos where you will find the most interesting rock formations called ‘fairy chimneys’ as well as the first examples of a monk’s chapel. You will then visit Avanos, the pottery village, where tiles and plates are crafted, using the millennia-old Hittite technique. You will have dinner and spend the night at the hotel. (Optional tours to a simple wine house or to a local folkloric performance after dinner are available). Breakfast and dinner included.
Overnight in Cappadocia.
Day 4 : CAPPADOCIA – MOUNT NEMRUT (500 kms – 7 hrs)
Your day of wonders will begin early, even before breakfast. You will be picked up from the hotel to watch the sun rise over this magnificent land from a hot-air balloon. You will have a unique, fairy tale-like experience, skimming over treetops or soaring above the landscape. You will then return to the hotel for breakfast before continuing to explore Cappadocia visiting Pancarlik and Cavusin Villages and Soganli Valley. At approximately 4:00 in the afternoon, you will leave the Cappadocia region to travel to Mt. Nemrut. The Nemrut Mountain stands in south eastern Turkey, and it is a 2,100m tall memorial to the Gods and Kings of the ancient world. Its summit is decorated with a number of large statues that were erected in 62 BC by King Antiochus I Theos of Commagene. The statues flank the tomb-sanctuary and apart from the King himself, they are built after images of lions, eagles and various ancient gods, such as Hercules – Vahagn, Zeus-Aramaz or Oromasdes (associated with the irenic god Ahura Mazda), Tyche and Apollo-Mithras. The same statues and ancestors found throughout the site can also be found on the tumulus at the site, which are 49 m tall and 152 m in diameter. The statues appear to have Greek-style facial features, but Persian clothing and hairstyling. Meanwhile, the western terrace contains a large slab with a lion, showing the arrangement of stars and the planets Jupiter, Mercury and Mars on 7 July 62 BC; believed to be an indication of when construction began on this monument. In 1987, Mt Nemrut was made a World heritage site by UNESCO. You will spend the night at the mountain hotel in Nemrut. Breakfast included.
Overnight in Nemrut.
Day 5 : MOUNT NEMRUT
You will leave the hotel very early in the morning (05.30 am approx.) to witness the spectacular sunrise over the stone heads and god statues from the time of King Antiochus. You will then return to the hotel for breakfast and free time until mid-afternoon when you will begin the second climbing of Mt Nemrut to witness awesome sunset, which you will watch from the sanctuary, where the King rests eternally with an escort of gods. Breakfast included.
Overnight in Nemrut
Day 6 : MOUNT NEMRUT – MALATYA (95 kms – 2 hrs)
You will leave the hotel after breakfast and drive to the city of Malatya. This city has been a human settlement for thousands of years and is now a large city with an agricultural and textile economy. On your way, you will visit the 14th century castle Eski Kale (Arsameia of Nymphaios) and a magnificent 3rd century Roman bridge at Cendere. Travelling through the plains of ancient Mesopotamia, a lunch (included) stop will be given at the foot of the giant Atatürk Dam that tames the Euphrates River before reaching Malatya late afternoon. Breakfast and lunch included.
Overnight in Malatya.
Day 7 : DEPARTURE MALATYA
After your last breakfast, transfer to Malatya airport according to the time of flight. End of tour.
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.