Yucatan Adventure, Self Drive
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
In addition to its beautiful beaches, Yucatan boasts an impressive cultural and historical heritage as the repository of treasures of Maya civilization such as Chichen Itza and Uxmal. Travel back in time to appreciate the everlasting greatness of these ancient cities reclaimed from the jungle and discover the beauty of the colorful colonial towns of Izamal, Merida, and Valladolid. Enjoy this seven-day self-drive tour around the Yucatan Peninsula, having the freedom to choose what you see and when you see it while driving your own vehicle. Keep our recommended itinerary in mind to make sure you catch sight of the most impressive places. The archaeological sites and natural wonders of Mexico will undoubtedly leave you breathless.
Chichen Itza: Uncover the mysteries of the Maya civilization while visiting this ancient archaeological site dominated by the imposing Temple of Kukulkan.
Izamal: This ‘magical town’ is known as the ‘City of Hills’ because of its numerous ruins of Maya pyramids.
Merida: Yucatan’s ‘White City’ is famed for the elegant 19th-century tree-lined boulevards.
Uxmal: The enormous Pyramid of the Magician found in this UNESCO World Heritage Site majestically rises above the jungle canopy.
Valladolid: Explore this charming ‘magical town’ and get in touch with its impressive past.
Ria Lagartos: 395 species of birds reside in this biosphere reserve where you can observe the flamboyance of flamingos and crocodiles roaming the mangroves.
- 6 nights’ accommodation
- 6 breakfasts
- Transfer from airport to rent a car office in Cancún on a shared basis
- LDW insurance: 100% covered from the commercial value of the vehicle for collision or theft. Include, cover tires, mirrors or car glasses (windows)
- Taxes for car rental only at the airport included (for extra services such as GPS, Baby seats, etc. are excluded)
- ALI: Third-Party Liability Coverage
- Lease and unlimited mileage
- Zero-deductible car insurance: in case of a collision or total theft
- Driver(s) must be 25 years or older, otherwise, a supplement will apply
- Additional driver included (total of 2)
- AAF (Airport Tax of 10% over T&K rate and coverage)
- TPL (Coverage for protection of damage to third parties, excluding passengers and their belongings. According to Mexican Laws, this coverage is mandatory)
- Tax to added value (VAT)
- Additional benefits: Delivery and pick-up of the vehicle with no extra charge in the different rental offices between Puerto Morelos to Tulum
- Meet & greet on day 1 at the airport assistance
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals if not stated explicitly in the programme
- Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Riviera Maya environmental sanitation right tax (payable on spot)
- International / domestic flight tickets, Mexican visa fees or local taxes
- Border taxes
- Airport departure tax
- Motorway tolls and parking fees
- Entrance fees or optional excursions
- Transfers and/or guide services
- Car hire – any other notes not mentioned under included section
NOT INCLUDED IN CAR HIRE
- Windows and wheels insurance (WWI)
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
- None of the coverages mentioned above include charges for towing, lockup, or traffic tickets
- Gas refill
- Additional or young drivers (18 to 24 years of age) will need to pay an extra daily charge.
- In case of an accident, the client has the responsibility to report it immediately to the rental office or to the assistance numbers, and properly fill out the accident report sheet when the lease finishes, otherwise, the coverage will be void, and the damages will be charged directly to the client
- In case that the client does not comply with the rental contract clauses that were signed at the office where the car was delivered, the coverage of insurances will be void
- The units shall be returned in regular conditions at the end of the lease
- All coverage and insurances included are only valid in the country in which car was rented (Mexico)
- In all cases, the driver must present a valid driver’s license and be over 25 years of age
- The clients must present a valid credit card for guarantee
Instructions for the car collection
- Day 1: Please look for a Destination Services representative at the Cancun Airport, that will provide you with the welcome pack. Our representative will assist you at the car rental company for you to pick up your vehicle.
- Day 7: Return procedure and the exact designated area will be advised by rent a car company when you pick up the car on arrival day. The drop off can be done in the airport but also at any other office in Riviera Maya, Cancun if this the preference of the clients. No additional charge will apply
What do I need to bring?
Comfortable and light clothing is the most suitable for travelling in Mexico. Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay
Day 1 Cancun:
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Fairfield or similar 4*
Day 2 Chichen Itza:
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel OKAAN or similar 3*
Day 3 Merida:
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Del Gobernador or similar 3.5*
Day 4 Uxmal:
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Uxmal Resort Maya or similar 4*
Day 5 Valladolid:
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Meson del Marques or similar 3.5*
Day 6 Tulum:
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Aluna or similar 4*
CAR HIRE OPTIONS
- Car Group A: Chevrolet Beat 2019 A/C or similar
- Car Group B: Chevrolet Spark 2019 A/C, or similar, Automatic Transmission
- Car Group C: Chevrolet Aveo A/C, or similar, Automatic Transmission
- Car Group D: VW Jetta, A/C, or similar, Automatic Transmission
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL CANCUN
Arrive at Cancun International Airport. Our representative will meet and greet you, he will provide you with your welcome pack, where all vouchers and important information will come along. Our representative will walk you to the rent a car staff at Airport. You will be transferred to the rent a car office nearby airport, where you will receive your car. Once you have your vehicle, head yourself to your hotel in Cancun. Have the rest of the day at leisure.
Overnight in Cancun
Day 2 : CANCUN – EK BALAM – CENOTE XCANCHE – CHICHEN ITZA (240km – 3 hrs)
Begin your day with a delightful breakfast at the hotel. Then, we suggest you first visit the archaeological site of Ek’ Balam, which in the Mayan language means ‘Black Jaguar’. See the Central Square and its ceremonial structures. Admire the main pyramid, known as the Acropolis, and enjoy the views over this complex boasting some 45 structures. It is one of the most impressive Maya ruins, featuring a royal entrance with a remarkably well-preserved stucco fresco surrounded by the open jaws and fangs of a jaguar. Then, hop on two wheels and enjoy a short bike ride to the beautiful X’Canche cenote for a swim. Continue to Chichen Itza and check into your hotel.
Overnight in Chichen Itzá.
Day 3 : CHICHEN ITZA – IZAMAL – MERIDA (130km – 2 hrs)
In the morning, head deep into the rainforests of the Yucatan peninsula in search of the legendary Maya city of Chichen Itza, which has been laboriously reclaimed from the jungle. Learn about the Maya and their civilisation as you admire the scale and detail of this ancient city. Behold the geometric perfection of the 25-metre-tall Temple of Kukulkan, popularly known as El Castillo (‘the Castle’). This temple was built both as a representation of the mystical Maya calendar and to reflect the optical illusion of a serpent snaking its way up or down the pyramid during the spring and autumn equinoxes. Admire the Great Ball Court, the largest of 13 discovered at the site, see the haunting Skull Platform, where the heads of human sacrifice victims and prisoners of war were impaled, and catch sight of the Sacred Cenote, where sacrifice victims were dumped. In addition, extremely well-preserved are the Temple of the Warriors, the Ossuary, the Nunnery and adjacent Church, and the large observatory known as the Snail. Continue driving to Izamal, whose Mayan name means ‘Heavenly Dew’. In the centre, see the Convent of St Anthony of Padua, which stands on a former Maya pyramid. Izamal is known as the ‘Yellow City’ due to the yellow and cream hues of its buildings. Afterwards, head towards the beautiful colonial town of Merida. Yucatan’s ‘White City’ is famed for the elegant tree-lined boulevards from the 19th century.
Overnight in Merida.
Day 4 : MERIDA – CELESTUN – UXMAL (230km – 3.5 hrs)
After a delectable breakfast, you can go from Merida to Celestun. The Celestun biosphere is an incredible spot where you can book a boat trip through the mangroves and spot colonies of wild flamingos, painting a pink hue over the water. Enjoy this incredible natural environment and, perhaps, stop at one of the palapas – thatched-roofed restaurants – for some of the tastiest and freshest seafood in the country. In the evening, arrive at Uxmal for your overnight stay.
Overnight in Uxmal.
Day 5 : UXMAL – VALLADOLID (230km – 3.25 hrs)
Indulge in a delicious breakfast and, in the early morning, visit the archaeological site Uxmal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which as you approach, comes into view as it rises above the canopy of the jungle. Unlike other Mayan cities, Uxmal was devoured by the rainforest after the Spaniards had arrived. The most famous structure is the 35-metre-tall Pyramid of the Magician, towering over the remarkably well-preserved Nunnery Quadrangle with its ornately carved interior and exterior walls. Across the central plaza, just beyond the ballgame court, you can find the Governor’s Palace with its elaborately decorated roof. At the southern end of the main complex see the Great Pyramid, of which only one side has been excavated with the other three still unclaimed from the bush. Afterwards, drive to the colonial town of Valladolid, one of Mexico’s ‘magical towns’, which was founded in 1543 and showcases mesmerising architecture. Take your time to discover its highlights, like the Cathedral of San Gervasio, the town’s central park, the collonaded municipal palace and the verdant Zaci cenote.
Overnight in Valladolid.
Day 6 : VALLADOLID – RIA LAGARTOS – COBA – TULUM (320km – 4 hrs)
After a tasty breakfast at the hotel, you can start by exploring the colourful Ria Lagartos nature reserve, known for birdwatching and flamingo spotting. Then we recommend continuing south to the Coba archaeological site. It is estimated that Coba contains over 6,000 constructions, but only a select few have been uncovered. This site may have been the largest population of all Mayan cities. After your visit, continue to the beachside site of Tulum.
Overnight in Tulum.
Day 7 : TULUM – DEPART RIVIERA MAYA / CANCUN (130km – 1.75 hrs)
Have a delicious breakfast at the hotel and visit the archaeological site of Tulum. The ruins are situated on a 12-metre-tall cliff along the Caribbean Sea. Wander around, admire the stunning views, and take a refreshing dip in the crystalline water. Afterwards, head to Playa del Carmen or Cancun Airport to drop off the vehicle at the car rental office and continue with your travel arrangements.