Surf Costa Rica, Self-drive
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
This 10-day self-drive tour is the perfect combination of surfing and driving on your own. With miles of white sand beaches and unparalleled waves, Costa Rica is a world-class surfing destination. You can relax and surf in places like the tiny village of Jacó with beaches of volcanic sand and Tamarindo where a reputation has been forgotten by the beauty of this city and its beaches and end to San José Costa Rica’s vibrant capital city was founded in the mid-18th century, boasting great cultural and historical landmarks.
San Jose: Costa Rica’s capital city was founded in the mid-18th century, visit its museums, the European-inspired National Theatre and stroll through its historic neighbourhoods.
Tamarindo Beach: A hip nightlife and a variety of waves, this beach is hailed as a one of the best surf destinations on the country’s northern pacific coast. The 2-kilometer stretch of brownish shoreline offers wondrous breakers. Consistent rides keep travellers coming back throughout the year.
Jaco Beach: Along North Puntarenas’ Central Pacific Coast, Jaco is the most well-known destination for surfers from all across the country. A beach party town, one major reason for Jaco’s popularity is its close proximity to the capital San Jose. A bustling busy place with plenty of restaurants and activities for all to enjoy.
Dominical: Rugged, wild and untamed, South Puntarenas is the ideal destination for the adventurous traveller. A lush gorgeous region provides the ultimate getaway for those who wish to escape the touristy crowds in favour of a more secluded and quiet vacation. The surfing here is also some of the best in Costa Rica with uncrowded beaches and beautiful landscapes.
- 9 night’s accommodation
- 9 breakfasts
- Air-conditioned transportation on a shared basis on Day 1 from Airport to Hotel
- Rented Car 4×4 Toyota Fortuner from Day 2 to Day 10
- Unlimited mileage
- Applicable Local taxes (VAT)
- Insurance with No excess
- Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
- Supplemental Liability Coverage (SLC)
- Emergency contact service
- Replacement car in case of accident
- Full-Full petrol rate
- Second driver
- Coverage up to 70.000 USD per person or 175.000 USD per accident
- Meet and greet on Day 1
- Hotel taxes
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals if not stated explicitly in the programme
- Airport taxes
- Airport porterage
- Optional tours
- International flight tickets or visa fees and local taxes
- Gratuities for drivers and guides.
NOT INCLUDED IN CAR HIRE:
- Damage to a third party or to the hire vehicle due to negligence or inappropriate driving.
- Loss or damage to aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen, wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle
- Damage to the engine through negligence
- Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition
- Damage caused to the vehicle or to persons through driving under the Influence of alcohol or drugs
- Fines due to breaking traffic laws and regulations during the hire period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of fine being received there will be an administration charge
- Any extra equipment (GPS, baby seat, etc)
- Petrol deposit 100 USD; refunded when returning full
- The minimum age to rent a vehicle or be a driver is 21 years
- All drivers must have a valid driver’s license
- The person who signs the contract must have an international credit card, Visa or Master Card, AMEX
- Pick-up service at the San José Airport is 24 hours
- Pick-up service at the Liberia Airport are from Monday to Sunday, 05:00 to 21:00 hrs. Pick-up outside of these times are subject to a surcharge.
- Pick-up hours at other locations are from Monday to Sunday, 08:00 to 17:00 hrs
- All pick-up times at other locations will be set according to the office hours.
- Accident/theft reporting must be notified within 24 hours of incident
- If the customer returns the vehicle earlier than the agreed upon drop-off date stated in the rental contract, the rental company will not refund the customer for any unused days.
- Deposit by credit card: Visa or Master Card only
- Please note that local conditions prevalent at the time of travel may result in modifications to tour contents without prior notice
- For self-guided visits, you must pay your entrance fee directly at the front desk of each park or attraction
- Recommended arrival before 14:00 hrs.
- Recommended departure time after 15 hrs.
What do I need to bring?
Comfortable and light clothing is the most suitable for travelling in Costa Rica. Visitors should not wear sleeveless shirts, shorts, short skirts or skimpy clothing when visiting temples, religious or official buildings. Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay.
Day 1 San José:
Standard Hotel Category = Park Inn or similar 3*
Superior Hotel Category = Presidente or similar 4*
Day 2-3 Tamarindo:
Standard Hotel Category = Wyndham Tamarindo or similar 3*
Superior Hotel Category = Tamarindo Diriá or similar 4*
Day 4-6 Jacó:
Standard Hotel Category = Terraza del Pacífico or similar 3*
Superior Hotel Category = Océano Boutique Hotel & Gallery or similar 4*
Day 7-9 Dominical:
Standard Hotel Category = Diuwak or similar 3*
Superior Hotel Category = Villas Río Mar or similar 4*
CAR HIRE OPTIONS
Car Group A = Toroya Fortuner Automatic w/o AC or similar
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL SAN JOSÉ
Your Costa Rican adventure begins on arrival to Juan Santamaría International Airport in San José. Our representative will meet and greet you and then direct you to your transport, which will drop you off at your hotel in San Jose for your first night in Costa Rica.
Overnight in San José
Day 2 : SAN JOSÉ – TAMARINDO (265 Km – 4.5 Hrs)
After breakfast at the hotel, get ready to start your tour today. Meet the car rental representatives at the lobby of your hotel in San José. Then drive your rental car to Tamarindo. Located in the North Pacific, the Tamarindo area is a destination that was made based on Surfing, after the publication of the film “Endless Summer” by Bruce Brown in 1966, this small town of Guanacaste become a beach destination in it is called Golden Coast of Costa Rica. Near Tamarindo you can find many nearby spots, such as Langosta beach, Playa Grande, Playa Negra, and Roca Bruja among others. The climate is tropical, with an average temperature of 32º C, with two well-marked seasons, the dry season (November – April) is dry, hot and sunny, with very little humidity which makes the atmosphere very pleasant and the rainy season ( April – October), with a characteristic that the mornings are sunny and in the afternoon there are great downpours that come from the interior of the country towards the coast, many times these characteristics produce spectacular sunsets, in this season the forest is green and abundant. Check in your selected hotel in Tamarindo.
Overnight in Tamarindo
Day 3 : TAMARINDO
Breakfast at the Hotel. Leisure day in the Tamarindo to enjoy the beach, the waves and explore the area on your own.
Overnight in Tamarindo
Day 4 : TAMARINDO – JACÓ (235 Km – 4 hrs)
Breakfast at the hotel and check out. Departure to Jacó. Jaco is the closest beach to San Jose and one of the most visited coastal destinations in Costa Rica. The beach is a strip of 2.5 miles (4 km), with world famous spots such as Playa Hermosa, which even hosted a Surfing World Championship organized by ISA in 2009. With waves suitable for beginners and experts, numerous services and an active nightlife, Jacó is an excellent option for the practice of this fantastic sport.
Overnight in Jacó.
Day 5 : JACÓ
Enjoy a fantastic breakfast at the hotel and enjoy this day in Jaco surfing, resting or continuing to discover corners of Jaco as El Miro which is an access to the mountain where you will have a spectacular view of Jaco. But not only that, on the way you could find monkeys, frogs, toucans and barnacles in their natural environment, in addition to decorated walls and many graffiti, seriously, they are many, you can also enjoy a bike ride, but not just any Bike, the preferred one is “Banana” or just marvel at a sunset, look for the place you prefer, from the balcony of a hotel, from the mountain, from your table in a restaurant or just sitting on the sand, and enjoy this show Free nature offers you. There is no sunset like this and I assure you that the ones in Playa Jaco have a magical touch that you will love.
Overnight in Jacó.
Day 6 : JACÓ
Take advantage of this last day in Jacó, after breakfast at the hotel, relax on the beach or surfing or drive to the Carara National Park. Here you can discover the natural wealth that this park hides, such as the variety of dry and wet forest species, since it is a transition type forest, or marshes that turn each landscape into an incomparable scenic beauty. You can also observe various species of reptiles, such as crocodiles that measure up to three meters long and that can be observed in the Grande de Tárcoles River, or water birds such as pink herons or needle ducks, among many others.
Overnight in Jacó
Day 7 : JACÓ – DOMINICAL (110 Km – 1.5 hrs)
Breakfast at the hotel and check out. Departure to your next destination, Playa Dominical in the exotic South Pacific. Dominical is a beach town in the South Pacific of the province of Puntarenas. It is surrounded by tropical forest and its population is extremely small. Its beach, characterized by its strong waves and open sea, measures around 2 kilometers and is on the banks of the mouth of the Barú River. It is famous for its great waves throughout the year and is well known by most surfers in Costa Rica. The town began as a small fishing village, but has grown to become a well-known Costa Rican tourist destination, especially for surfers.
Overnight in Dominical
Day 8 : DOMINICAL
Breakfast at the Hotel. Leisure days in Dominical to enjoy the beach, the waves and explore the area on your own.
Overnight in Dominical.
Day 9 : DOMINICAL
Breakfast at the hotel. If you need a break from the waves, the Dominical coasts also have dense tropical rain forests, which are excellent for hiking. Home of several waterfalls and caves where you will have an unforgettable experience.
Overnight in Dominical
Day 10 : DOMINICAL – SAN JOSÉ (210 Km – 4 hrs)
Enjoy your last breakfast in Costa Rica and then check out and in advance drive to the point of return of the rental car, which we will indicate on the day of delivery of the rental car and take the flight to your next destination