North Thailand Highlights
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
Explore the hypnotising north of Thailand and discover its main cultural attractions, during this magical five-day tour from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai. This fascinating region offers you a plethora of historic monuments, memorable landscapes, gastronomic delights, and wonderful wildlife. Enjoy the north of Thailand while seeing its top temples and visiting the spectacular hill tribe villages.
Chiang Rai: Learn about local cultures at the Hilltribe Museum , explore remote tribal villages in the highlands, and discover the dazzling Wat Rong Khun temple.
Golden Triangle: See three countries from one spot in Sop Ruak at the confluence of the Ruak and the Mekong rivers.
Chiang Mai: Visit a tribal village, cruise a river on a longtail boat, take in the views from the hilltop Wat Doi Suthep temple, enjoy an unforgettable encounter with the friendly Thai elephants, and much more.
- Operated with English / German/ Spanish or Italian-speaking guide
- Four nights in air-conditioned room with bath/shower on a half-board basis
- Four breakfasts and three lunches
- Air-conditioned transportation, transfers as stated in the programme
ENTRANCE FEES AND ACTIVITIES:
- All entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary: Hilltribe Museum and Education Centre, Wat Phra That Chom Kitti and Wat Rong Khun in Chiang Rai; Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, River Ping cruise, farmhouse lunch, Wat Suan Dok, Wat Phra Sing and Wat Chedi Luang in Chiang Mai
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals if not stated explicitly in the programme
- Departure transfer back to the airport in Chang Mai
- Gratuity for driver and guide
- Optional tours
- International or domestic flight tickets and airport taxes or visa fees.
- On arrival at Chiang Rai Airport please collect your luggage and proceed to the exit of the Customs Hall. You will be met by a representative who will be holding a sign with your name on it.
- Please note that local conditions prevalent at the time of travel may result in modifications to the tour contents.
What do I need to bring?
Comfortable and light clothing is the most suitable for travelling in Thailand. Visitors should not wear sleeveless shirts, shorts, short skirts or skimpy clothing when visiting temples, religious or official buildings. Shoes should be removed before entering a temple or private house. Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay.
Day 1-2 Chiang Rai:
- Standard Room | Superior Hotel Category = Laluna or similar 4*
- Superior Room | Superior Hotel Category = Imperial River House Resort or similar 5*
Day 3-4 Chian Mai:
- Standard Room | Superior Hotel Category = Empress Chiang Mai or similar 4*
- Superior Room | Superior Hotel Category = Empress Chiang Mai or similar 4*
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL CHIANG RAI
Arrive in Chiang Rai and meet with our representative. Then, transfer and check in at the selected hotel, enjoying the rest of the day free at leisure. Maybe explore the heart of the old town, which dates from the reign of King Mangrai in the 13th century, or wander around the bustling night bazaar to catch a glimpse of the spirit of this beautiful area.
Overnight in Chiang Rai.
Day 2 : CHIANG RAI – GOLDEN TRIANGLE – CHIANG RAI (270km – 6 hrs)
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel, before heading to the centre to admire the iconic monument of King Mangrai, en route to the Hilltribe Museum and Education Centre. Learn all about the dozens of hill tribes who, for centuries, have lived in the highlands around the city and how they have survived the spread of globalisation. Continue to the Mae Chan district to explore the remote hill tribe villages of Yao and Akha people, and experience their way of life first-hand. Head towards Mae Sai, a small border town with a busy market, before going into the heart of the infamous Golden Triangle, where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet. This natural wilderness gained an unwanted notoriety in the Sixties because of the abundant opium cultivation in the area. After lunch, continue to Chiang Saen to visit the hilltop Wat Phra That Chom Kitti, which is reached via a 350-step staircase. Return to Chiang Rai and have the rest of the day free at leisure.
Overnight in hotel in Chiang Rai. Breakfast and lunch included.
Day 3 : CHIANG RAI – CHIANG MAI (260km – 4 hrs)
Begin your journey after breakfast at the hotel, heading towards Chiang Mai. On the southern outskirts of Chiang Rai, stop at the magnificent Wat Rong Khun, a dazzling temple built in the 1990s. Its ornate all-white exterior, with embedded pieces of mirror makes it one of the most beautiful temples in Thailand. Continue to Chiang Mai and, on arrival, visit Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, one of the most revered temples in the country. This sacred location is at the top of a mountain from where you can appreciate stunning panoramic views of the city. To reach the temple you must climb up a 309-step naga staircase. Alternatively, you can use the cable car to reach the temple. Afterwards, head to the riverbank and hop on a boat for a cruise along the scenic River Ping. Relax, enjoy the cruise, and then visit a farm to savour a delicious khao soi noodle curry and watch a fascinating dance performance. After a walk through the local flower and fresh produce market, return to the hotel. The cable car ride is included.
Overnight in hotel in Chiang Mai. Breakfast and lunch included.
Day 4 : CHIANG MAI CITY & SURROUNDINGS (40 kms – 1hrs)
Breakfast at the hotel and morning at leisure until lunch time at a local restaurant. After lunch you will explore this ancient city. Chiang Mai’s old town is still surrounded by remnants of the old defensive walls and a moat. Visit the historic Wat Suan Dok and admire its 48- metre-high Sri Lankan-style chedi, which overlooks the Royal Cemetery. Continue to Wat Phra Sing in the old town and appreciate the beauty of this large complex of more than 60 buildings before visiting 14th century Wat Chedi Luang in the very heart of the old city. In the evening, you can enjoy an optional khantoke dinner (not included).
Overnight in hotel in Chiang Mai. Breakfast and lunch included.
Day 5 : DEPART CHIANG MAI
Start your last day in Chiang Mai with a delicious breakfast, before checking out of your selected hotel.