Splendors of Sri Lanka
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
Join us and explore the best of inland Sri Lanka on this fascinating six-day round-trip starting in Colombo City. This route covers some of Sri Lanka’s most inspiring cultural landmarks, including the Sigiriya Rock Fortress. It is the perfect tour for lovers of history and culture.
Sigiriya Rock Fortress: Sigiriya is an ancient rock fortress built in the 5th century by King Kasyapa. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of the finest monuments of art and culture in Sri Lanka and one of the best preserved examples of ancient urban planning.
Kandy: A beautiful city set on a plateau in Sri Lanka’s central region surrounded by mountains covered in tea plantations and a bio-diverse rainforest. This UNESCO Sacred Site is bursting with palaces and gardens and it is home to the outstanding Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic.
Dambulla Cave Temple: The largest and best-preserved cave temple complex in Sri Lanka. Five separate caves contain about 150 stunning Buddha statues and paintings; some of Sri Lanka’s most important and evocative religious art.
- Operated with English-speaking chauffeur/ guide on shared basis
- 5 nights accommodation
- 5 Breakfasts
- Air-conditioned transportation as stated in the programme
- Arrival airport transfer / Departure airport transfer
- Tuk Tuk ride back to hotel
ENTRANCE FEES AND ACTIVITIES:
- One-time entrance fee to Sigiriya Rock Fortress (day 2), Polonnaruwa Ancient Kingdom (day 3), One-time entrance fee Dambulla Cave Temple (day 4), Temple of Tooth (day 4), Colombo walking city tour (day 5), Gangaramaya temple (day 5)
- Meet and Greet on day 1
- Flowers at Gangaramaya Temple. (on day 5)
- A straw hat woven by locals (on day 1)
- 1 shot of Arrack or a non-alcoholic beverage at a local bar (on day 5)
- Sweets at a local sweet shop (on day 5)
- One bite of Beetle leaves (on day 5)
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals or items not stated explicitly in the programme
- Lunch & Dinner throughout the tour
- Gratuities for drive and guide
- Any alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, mineral water, etc
- Video camera and photography permits at the Temple of the Tooth Relic in Kandy
- Travel Insurance or any loss or extra cost arising due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays, accidents, etc
- Cultural show (on day 4)
- Health and safety instructions:
- The standard hotel check-in time is from 12-14pm (depending on the hotel).
- The standard hotel check-out is at 11am
- Hotel early check-in, late check-out, connecting or adjoining rooms, smoking rooms & non-smoking rooms are subject to availability and are not guaranteed
- The Validity of the passport should be 06 months from the date of departure.
- Visa info:
Please note all clients will have log into the website and obtain the visas prior to arrival in Sri Lanka excluding citizens from Singapore and Maldives. The government has informed that all applications will be processed within 48 hours and payment can be made on-line by credit card.
The details are available at the website www.eta.gov.lk.
- Please note alcohol will not be served in public areas in hotels and restaurants during religious holidays.
What do I need to bring?
Comfortable and warm clothing is the most suitable for travelling. Visitors should not wear sleeveless shirts, shorts, short skirts or skimpy clothing when visiting temples, religious or official buildings. Shoes should be removed before entering a temple or private house. Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay.
Day 1, 5 Colombo:
- Superior Hotel Category = Ozo Colombo 4* or similar
- Deluxe Hotel Category = Cinnamon Grand 5* or similar
Day 2,3 Habarana/ Sigiriya:
- Superior Hotel Category = Habrana Village by Cinnamon 4* or similar
- Deluxe Hotel Category = Habrana Lodge 5* or similar
Day 4 Kandy:
- Superior Hotel Category = Earls’s Regent 4* or similar
- Deluxe Hotel Category = Earls Regency 5* or similar
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL COLOMBO
Arrive at Bandaranaike International Airport. There you will be met by our representative and the transportation service will then transfer you from the airport to Colombo, where you will check in to your hotel and enjoy some time to relax and freshen up after your flight. You can enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure, relax in the hotel or head out into the vibrant city of Colombo for a sneak preview of its historic streets, colourful back alleys and most famous landmarks. Visit the Pettah District, one of Colombo’s oldest regions, and imagine a time when the streets were teeming with ox carts loaded up with the island’s most important exports such as rubber, tea, cinnamon, kithul treacle, rope and peacocks. Head over to Colombo’s more cosmopolitan side for stylish eateries, galleries and shops or walk to the sea front to look out over the Indian Ocean.
- Overnight In Colombo.
Day 2 : COLOMBO – HABRANA / SIGIRIYA (180km – 4hrs)
Wake up to breakfast at the hotel, then prepare for your tour of UNESCO World Heritage Site, Sigiriya Rock Fortress. The enigmatic rocky outcrop of Sigiriya is perhaps Sri Lanka’s single most dramatic sight. Near-vertical walls soar to a flat-topped summit where the ruins of an ancient civilization sit. This 5th century citadel built by King Kasyapa is one of the best-preserved examples of ancient urban planning and one of Sri Lanka’s finest monuments of art and culture. The fortress complex includes remnants of a ruined palace, surrounded by an extensive network of fortifications, vast gardens, ponds, canals, alleys, fountains and frescoes. Step through the gigantic Lion Paws carved into the rock and look down over the symmetrical royal gardens, lily-pad-covered moats, water gardens and cave shrines. Walk in the shade of the Mirror Wall on the Western face of Sigiriya. In the past, this wall was polished so thoroughly that the king could see his reflection in it. Visit the museum to learn about the castle, ponds and the impressive hydraulic system that pumped water up to the summit of the rock. At the end of the tour, transfer from Sigiriya to Habarana.
- Overnight in Habarana. Breakfast included.
Day 3 : HABRANA – SIGIRIYA (15 Km – 30 min)
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel then transfer from Habarana to Polonnaruwa. Visit the Polonnaruwa Ancient Kingdom. Kings ruled the central plains of Sri Lanka from Polonnaruwa 800 years ago, when it was a thriving commercial and religious centre. The archaeological treasures left behind give you a good idea of what it would have looked like in its heyday. Walk around the World Heritage Site and observe the stupas, resting Buddha statues, irrigation canals and intricately carved Hindu sculptures. Visit Vatadage, a structure more or less unique to the architecture of ancient Sri Lanka, which is full of ornate stone carvings. Sit beside Gal Vihara and marvel at the most perfect example of a Buddha statue hewn out of solid stone. Then take in the majesty of the Nissankamalla Council Chamber, the pillared hall where King Nissanka Malla’s council would have met. Lastly, visit Parakrama Samudra, the 12th century irrigation system built by King Parakramabahu to alleviate the water shortages between the monsoon seasons. In the evening, transfer from Polonnaruwa to Sigiriya.
- Overnight in Habarana. Breakfast included.
Day 4 : SIGIRIYA – KANDY (90km – 2.5hrs)
Start the day with breakfast at the hotel then prepare for a day exploring Dambulla and Kandy. First, visit Dambulla Cave Temple, a beautiful rock temple complex sitting about 160 m above Dambulla. Five separate caves contain about 150 Buddha statues and paintings, some of Sri Lanka’s most important and evocative religious art. As you enter the complex, look up at the giant golden Buddha glittering in the sun. After your visit to Dambulla, continue to Kandy to visit the Temple of the Tooth, the golden-roofed temple that houses Sri Lanka’s most important Buddhist relic – a tooth of the Buddha. In the afternoon, visit the city of Kandy, a UNESCO World Heritage Sacred City, which boasts a wealth of culture, history and religious heritage. Stroll around the lakeside city surrounded by misty hills and take in the sights and sounds of the fresh fruit and vegetable stands in Kandy market. In the evening, join a cultural show and move to the beat of traditional Sri Lankan music and drumming, a true demonstration of the rich and vibrant culture of the jewel of Asia.
- Overnight in Kandy. Breakfast included.
Day 5 : KANDY – COLOMBO (120Km – 3.5hrs)
After breakfast at the hotel, transfer from Kandy back to Colombo, the ‘City of Everything’. This charismatic, historic and commercial capital has always been popular with locals and tourists alike. The capital of Sri Lanka has a long history and has been ruled successively by the Portuguese, Dutch and British. That heritage is reflected in its mix of colonial buildings, old bazaars and markets and new high-rises and shopping malls. There is also a wealth of religious and cultural heritage on offer. Visit the Gangaramaya Temple, one of the oldest Buddhist temples in Colombo, then take a short-cut through to one of the best and not-so-secret street food spots in the city. The bustling streets of Slave Island and Pettah will give you a true feel for Colombo life. Enter a Sri Lankan bar and taste Sri Lankan arrack, then sample a selection of authentic Sri Lankan street food – the fiery flavours are a true delight for the taste buds. Don’t forget to try a traditional Kottu Roti. When you can’t eat any more, jump aboard one of Sri Lanka’s famous tuk-tuks and enjoy the ride back to your hotel.
- Overnight in Colombo. Breakfast included.
Day 6 : DEPARTURE COLOMBO
After finishing your breakfast, prepare for your departure and transfer to Bandaranaike International Airport in time for your onward or return flight. Although this is the last day of your journey through some of the most fascinating locations in Sri Lanka, we hope that your memories and photographs of this remarkable, colourful island nation will last a lifetime.
- Breakfast included.