Join this memorable tour and catch a glimpse of South Africa’s artistic side, while visiting this beautiful city. Admire the local artists’ talent as you explore Johannesburg’s cultural offerings. Visit fascinating galleries boasting works from both national and international artists and discover rising talent in the suburbs and townships of the gigantic city. This five-day trip is the perfect choice for true art lovers!
Johannesburg: Commonly known as Jozi or Jo’burg, this massive metropolis offers you a bit of everything, with a striking mix of cultures, languages and impressive architecture steeped in history.
- Operated with English-speaking driver-guide
- Local guide during the Walking Art Safari tour on day 3
- Private vehicle
- Arrival transfer from the Johannesburg International airport to the hotel
- Departure transfer from the hotel to the Johannesburg International airport
ENTRANCE FEES AND ACTIVITIES:
- All entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary; Visit to Rosebank arts strip: Warren Siebrit, David Krut Projects, Artspace, Res Gallery, Gallery 2, Goodman Gallery, Kim Sacks Gallery; walking art safari with Funda Art Centre, Johannesburg Art Gallery, visit to Arts on Main and dinner at Tanz Cafe
- Meet and greet at Johannesburg International Airport on day 1
- petrol and toll fees
- Personal travel, baggage, and medical insurance
- Optional tours and excursions
- Expenses of a personal nature, drinks, and meals if not stated explicitly in the programme
- Beverages during included meals
- International or domestic flight tickets and airport taxes or visa fees where applicable
- Hotel early check-out, early check-in, late check-in, connecting or adjoining rooms are all subject to availability and not guaranteed
- No refunds for unused services. Splitting the package is not allowed.
- Please note that local conditions prevalent at the time of travel may result in modifications to the contents of the tour without prior notice, including possible changes of hotels and/or itinerary
- It is compulsory to sign an indemnity form when entering South African National Parks. More information in the regulation and the parks can also be found on the official SANPARKS website: www.sanparks.org
- Parents travelling with children would now be requested to provide an unabridged birth certificate (including the details of the child’s father as well as the mother) of all travelling children. This applies even when both parents are travelling with their children. When children are travelling with guardians, these adults are required to produce affidavits from parents proving permission for the children to travel. The above applies to foreigners and South Africans travelling to or from South Africa as well as travellers in transit. Please note that the child must be the appropriate age (according to accommodation stipulated) at the time of travel
- See your doctor for advice in regards to vaccinations and malaria prophylaxis
What do I need to bring?
Comfortable and light clothing is the most suitable for travelling in South Africa. Visitors should not wear sleeveless shirts, shorts, short skirts or skimpy clothing when visiting temples, religious or official buildings. Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay
Day 1-4 Johannesburg
- Superior Hotel Category = Park Inn Sandton or similar 4*
Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL JOHANNESBURG
Arrive at Johannesburg International Airport, where you will meet your tour guide, who will drive you to your hotel and assist with the check-in procedures. Spend the rest of the day at leisure, enjoying the hotel amenities. Since the first gold rush in 1886, Johannesburg has never lost its frenetic pace. It has been described as the ‘golden heartbeat of Africa’, a place of commerce and opportunity, and one of the most diverse cities in the world. Johannesburg is the capital of the Gauteng Province, the smallest, but wealthiest in the country, with the largest economy of any metropolitan region of sub-Sahara Africa.
The Park Inn Sandton Hotel is known for receiving the Best Design Hotel award at the 2011 South African Property Owners (SAPOA), preferred by many for its extraordinary location, great facilities, and comfort. All these provide the ideal experience for Johannesburg travellers. The proximity to both local businesses and exciting attractions, like the Sandton Convention Centre, Sandton City Shopping Centre, Nelson Mandela Square and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, is unbeatable. In addition, the hotel’s facilities include an outdoor swimming pool, gym, a great restaurant and a cosy bar.
Overnight in Johannesburg.
Day 2 : JOHANNESBURG: ART GALLERIES
Start the day with a delicious breakfast followed by a trip to the famous Rosebank art strip. The galleries on Johannesburg’s art strip collectively represent a lot of what South African art has to offer, a diverse cross-section of South Africa’s modern art industry.
Explore the magnificent Warren Siebert’s Modern & Contemporary Art Gallery and admire numerous works signed by the black pioneers of South African art, including famous artists like Gerard Sekoto, Gerard Bhengu and Gladys Mgundlandlu.
Afterwards, visit David Krut Projects, located right next door and filled with interesting prints by South African contemporary artists like Penny Siopis, William Kentridge and David Koloane. Artspace, also alongside, has a reputation for good deals on a range of modern art. These three galleries have been joined by Resolution Gallery, focusing on digital and new media art, and Gallery 2, which promotes both established and emerging South African artists.
Across the road, you will find the Goodman Gallery, a leader in contemporary art and sculpture, presenting artists like David Goldblatt, Kudzanai Chiurai and Hasan and Hussain Essop. Further up the road, the Kim Sacks Gallery exhibits ceramics and artefacts from across Africa, as well as cutting-edge designer pieces from South Africa.
After exploring some of the most impressive South African art galleries, return to your hotel and relax, getting ready for a new day filled with artistic experiences.
Overnight in Johannesburg.
Day 3 : JOHANNESBURG: WALKING ART SAFARI
Indulge in a tasty breakfast at your hotel before continuing to explore creative Johannesburg. Art is not just restricted to galleries, so today you will focus on street art. No longer just part of gang culture, street art is important for the city´s artistic scene, especially in the surrounding concrete jungle. To see and understand the best works, you will be guided by an extra guide specialized in finding and interpreting these pieces of art. Enjoy this walking art safari in Johannesburg CBD and Soweto and admire graffiti created by local and even international artists. Visit Funda Art Centre, part of the African Institute of Art & Funda Community Centre, where the next generation of artists is training, predominantly in visual arts – same as in Legapa Gallery Soweto.
Overnight in Johannesburg.
Day 4 : JOHANNESBURG : JAG
Have breakfast at the hotel and begin exploring with JAG, short for Johannesburg Art Gallery! The gallery, situated in the heart of Johannesburg’s central business district, on the edge of Joubert Park, offers art enthusiast the chance to admire 15 exhibition halls and collections ranging from 15th-century Europe to contemporary African art.
After wandering around the fascinating pieces of art at JAG, make a change of scenery and move on to Arts on Main, a new project which is breathing new life into the city centre and is an important feature on the South African arts and crafts landscape. This inner-city development provides a stimulating space for artists from many disciplines, including film, literature and contemporary art, to create and sell their work.
Check out the galleries and art cafes on your own, before you return to your hotel to get ready for a memorable night. In the evening, you have the great opportunity to dine and be entertained like a local at Tanz Cafe, a real Jozi institution, spoiling you with light meals and local music! Dinner is included.
Overnight in Johannesburg.
Day 5 : DEPART JOHANNESBURG
Begin your last day in Johannesburg with a delicious breakfast at the hotel. Spend some time at leisure before your guide will pick you up and transfer you to the airport. Have a safe journey!