The Templars: The History of a Nation
[3 Days Tour]
The Templars: The History of a Nation
Adventure yourself into discovering the rich history and culture, the culinary delicacies, and the breathtaking landscapes of Portugal. Join this perfectly created three-day guaranteed departure historical tour and discover Lisbon, the beautiful city of contrasts where the past delightfully greets the present. Explore the city´s main landmarks, indulge in the famous pasteis de Belem, and let the Fado music impress your soul. Continue your memorable journey with a visit to the tiny, but intriguing Tomar. Spend your last day in Sintra, one of the most dazzling places in Europe. Explore the historical centre and savour the captivating mystery that surrounds it. Visit the charming, colourful Quinta da Regaleira before returning to Lisbon.
Lisbon: Portugal’s capital city is an adventure in itself, offering cultural gems such as fado, culinary treats like pasteis de Belem, and romantic city views.
Tomar: Ancient Templar city, possessing a great history and an architectural ensemble, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, as is its Convent of Christ, located inside the Tomar Castle from the 12th century.
Sintra: The UNESCO World Heritage Site is perhaps one of the most stunning sites in all of Europe. Explore its colourful castle, impressive architectural gems, and verdant surroundings.
- Operated with Portuguese, Spanish, French and English-speaking licensed guide on a shared basis
- 2 nights on a bed-and-breakfast basis
- 2 Breakfasts
- 2 Lunches
- Air conditioning bus or minivan, as per detailed itinerary
ENTRANCE FEES AND ACTIVITIES:
- All entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary: Convent of Christ in Tomar, Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra, Belen Tower in Lisbon, Museu da Marinha in Lisbon.
- Items of a personal nature such as alcoholic drinks, laundry, drinks and meals not stated explicitly in the programme, including drinks during meals
- Tips and porterage
- Entrance fees not mentioned in the included items
- Any charges not mentioned in the included items
- Arrival airport transfer / departure airport transfer
- International flights
- All types of travel or personal insurance.
- Pick-up at Marques de Pombal Square in Lisbon, at 8:30 hrs. We recommend to arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the indicated time.
- Drop-off at Marques de Pombal Square in Lisbon at 18:00 hrs.
- No refund for unused services. Splitting of package is not allowed
- Local conditions prevalent at the time of travel may result in modifications to the tour contents without prior notice.
- For the arrival transfer from the airport, clients will be met at the exit of the arrivals hall by an English speaking driver. The driver will be holding a board with clients’ name. In the event that they are unable to locate the driver, they should contact at once the emergency number before leaving the airport or making any alternative arrangements.
- For the departure transfers clients will be collected by the driver from the hotel reception area. Clients shall be ready in the reception 10 minutes prior to pick up. In the event that the driver has not arrived at the scheduled time, please contact the emergency number before making any alternative arrangements. Transfer takes 2hours and 30 minutes prior to clients’ flight departure time.
What do I need to bring?
Comfortable and light clothing is the most suitable for travelling in Portugal. Visitors should not wear sleeveless shirts, shorts, short skirts or skimpy clothing when visiting temples, religious or official buildings. Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay.
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 1 day or less before event
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 75% if booking is cancelled 5 days or less before event
Pick-up at Marques de Pombal Square in Lisbon, at 8:30 hrs. We recommend to arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the indicated time.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL LISBON – ALMOUROL – TOMAR (165 km – 2hrs)
Your first day begins with a pick-up at Marques de Pombal Square in Lisbon, at 8:30 hrs. We recommend to arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the indicated time.. We then set off to see one of the most representative monuments of the Knights Templar in Portugal: Almourol Castle. Located on a small island in the Tagus River, this is one of Europe’s most emblematic monuments. We then proceed onwards in the direction of the Castle and Convent of Tomar – the Order’s own headquarters. This is undoubtedly one of the finest architectonic works in Portugal. Here, we encounter the Castle with its imposing bulwark, the Charola – considered the most well preserved Templar Church with a centralized layout – the enigmatic Manueline window and the main cloister, a masterpiece of the European Renaissance. We then get the opportunity to visit the Church of St. John Baptist, the matrix church of Tomar, with its original structure subject to renovation on the orders of King Manuel, a former governor of the Order. We then go to the Church of Santa Maria dos Olivais. This fine example of Gothic architecture served both as the pantheon for the grand masters of the Order and a template for churches built throughout the Portuguese empire.
Overnight in Tomar area hotel on bed-and-breakfast basis.
Day 2 : TOMAR – DORNES – BATALHA – ALCOBACA – SINTRA (255km – 3.15 hrs)
After breakfast we head towards the pretty setting of Dornes, located alongside the Tagus River. Here, we tour the Templar Tower, also known as the Tower of Dornes. We then continue with a visit to CIBA – the Battle of Aljubarrota Interpretation Centre. This provides the opportunity to “relive” one of the most important battles of the Medieval Europe, decisive to Portuguese unity and identity. Lopo Dias de Sousa, a canonical religious master in the Order of Christ, proved a defining and fundamental figure in this period of history. We then advance to the Monastery of Alcobaca with its church containing one of the largest Cistercian abbeys in Europe. This architectural masterpiece was built under the orders of Afonso Henriques, the founding king of Portugal and entrusted to St. Bernardo Claraval, principal abbot in the Cistercian Order and a great mentor of the Order of the Knights Templar. We then depart heading towards Sintra.
Overnight in Sintra area hotel on bed-and-breakfast basis.
Day 3 : SINTRA – DEPART LISBON (34km – 30 min)
We begin the day with a tasty breakfast and a visit to Quinta da Regaleira, a leading example of the Romantic architectural style and one of the most esoteric and mysterious places in Portugal. We reveal a few of the secrets of these enchanting surroundings replete with neo-Templar symbols such as the initiation well. We then see the Tower of Belem, the Portuguese monument that symbolizes the Era of the Discoveries and the National Navy Museum. Here we get the chance to see into, with the help of two of the governors of the Order of Christ, Prince Henry the Navigator and King Manuel, what was certainly the most splendid period in the history of Portugal. Afterwards, you will be dropped off at the indicated time and location.
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.