The Healing waters of the North Portugal, Self-drive
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
Choose our self-drive tour around Portugal and spend six memorable days exploring the superb culture and landscapes of this country. Visit its inspiring, lively towns and catch a glimpse of the scenic, historical villages. Stroll the beautifully arranged streets of Oporto admiring its picturesque location, walk the mesmerizing alleys of Penafiel, and enjoy delicious wines in one of the local cellar in the Sao Pedro do Sul.
Oporto: one of the oldest cities in Europe, surrounded by the stunning hills and blue rivers. Beautiful plazas, churches and houses with colourfully tiled façades are the architectural treasures of this city, and the taste of local wine and gastronomy will take you to become a part of this unique culture
Penafiel: charming village settled in the valley marked by the river Duoro. São Vicente Spa, ancient Rome thermal spa, is situated here and offers the best relax while inhaling the pure air of eucalyptus forests.
Sao Pedro do Sul: picturesque town settled into the beautiful region of the north Portugal. Famous for its thermal springs with the healing effects
- 5 night’s hotel accommodation
- 5 Breakfasts
- Unlimited mileage
- SCDW (additional insurance with obligatory police report)
- TP (theft protection)
- Road assistance 24/7
- Replacement vehicle in a case of accident or breakdown
- Safety equipment (triangle, high visibility vest, fire extinguisher)
- Road map
- Meet & Greet
- Domestic nor International flights
- City tax not included, payable on the spot
- Porterage and gratuities
- Tour guide
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals or items not stated explicitly in the program
- Any alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, mineral water, camera/video camera fee (if any)
- Travel Insurance or any loss or extra cost arising due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays, accidents, etc.
- PAI (personal accident insurance)
NOT INCLUDED IN CAR HIRE:
- Fuel, Fines, Tolls, Parking
- Damage to a third party or to the hire vehicle due to negligence or inappropriate driving.
- Loss or damage to aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle.
- Damage to the engine through negligence.
- Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition.
- Damage caused to the vehicle or to persons through driving under the Influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Fines due to breaking traffic laws and regulations during the hire period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of a fine being received there will be an administration charge.
- If the car is left outside of rent a car designated area on drop off, customers will be responsible for any costs generated and for any damage to the vehicle due to it being parked outside of the Rent a Car installations.
- Each additional driver .
- Any extra equipment (GPS, baby seat etc)
- Drivers age from 26 to 75 years old (must have had their driver´s license for a minimum of one year)
- Pick-up hours are Monday through Sunday, 07:00 to 22:00 hrs. Pick-up outside of these times is subject to a surcharge.
- Drivers who are not citizens of the European Union must present an international driver’s license together with the original from their country of origin.
- If the customer returns the vehicle earlier than the agreed upon drop-off date stated in the rental contract, the rental company will not refund the customer for any unused days
- Deposit credit card Visa or MasterCard only
- Accident/theft reporting must be notified within 48 hours of the incident
- In cases where, following the return of the vehicle, additional cleaning is required due to the car being dirty beyond the level expected from normal vehicle use, an additional charge shall apply, against evidence of the cost of the service provided
- Instructions for the car collection
- Day 6: Return procedure and the exact designated area will be advised by rent a car company when you pick up the car on arrival day
- We reserve the right to change itineraries and activities due to weather conditions, technical problems or security reasons.
- Late check-out, early check-in, connecting or adjoining rooms at the hotel are all subject to availability and not guaranteed.
Day 1, 2 Penafiel:
- Superior Hotel Category = Hotel Penafiel Park or similar 3*
Day 3, 4 São Pedro do Sul:
- Superior Hotel Category = Hotel do Parque or similar 3*
Day 5 Oporto:
- Superior Hotel Category = Hotel Cristal or similar 3*
CAR HIRE OPTIONS:
- Car Group C = Seat Ibiza or similar
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL PORTO – PENAFIEL (560 km – 4.45 hrs)
Arrive at Oporto International Airport, meet and greet by our local representative who will assist you with your car hire and inform you how to proceed on your departure day. Hop in to your car and drive to your first Portuguese location, Penafiel. Drive among the hills, valleys and rivers and admire the stunning views over this North Region of Portugal. Once in Penafiel, walk along the picturesque streets and admire the local architecture, small squares and churches, built before the birth of Portugal as a nation. The scenery is real marvel, with shades of green from the lush banks of the Douro and Sousa rivers to the bucolic vineyards and pine forest draped across every hillside.
Overnight in Penafiel.
Day 2 : PENAFIEL
Wake up to your tasty breakfast and prepare yourself for a real relaxing experience. Drive to the region of Pinheiro, where you can enjoy the healing effects of thermal springs in famous São Vicente Spa (own expenses). Roman spa found in the early 20th century. Its waters are considered the most alkaline in Europe and the best choice for treatments related to the respiratory system. Surrounded sites are Mosteiro Beneditino de Paço de Sousa, Castelo de Penafiel and Santuario do Sameiro. Make sure you try Vinho Verde (green wine), typical for this region and for opening your gastronomic experience we recommend you to try the lamprey, which is cooked with rice, while in the hills the damp winters are warmed with stew and roasted lamb and kit goat. For dessert sopa seca (fry soup), a kind of bread pudding with cinnamon, lemon zest and a splah of Port wine.
Overnight in Penafiel.
Day 3 : PENAFIEL – SAO PEDRO DO SUL (140 km – 1.5 hrs)
Enjoy your breakfast at the hotel and continue your trip to Sao Pedro do Sul, where you will spend the next 2 nights. Sao Pedro do Sul is a small town situated in the valley of Lafões, framed by massifs of Arada, Gralheira and S Macario mountains. Their lush landscapes, cold, crystal waters, and small hidden villages in the valleys are creating stunning landscapes and beautiful natural phenomena. Once in Sao Pedro do Sul, we recommend you to visit the Thearm Baths of Sao Pedro do Sul. Still perceiving Roman changing room proves that this Spa was used in the period of the Roman conquest. Just a few kilometers away there is a small city Viseu, an ancient city, built of grey stone, full of green and lively surroundings. Viseu was considered the best of Portugal in the quality of life ranking. If you wish to go around this city, do not miss Casa do Viriato, The Viseu Cathedral, and The Grão Vasco Museum.
Overnight in Sao Pedro do Sul.
Day 4 : SAO PEDRO DO SUL
Start your day with the breakfast at the hotel. Today you can reach some of the local sites around the city, or try another thermal spa in the area. Tranquillity and relax in one of the wellness centres will calm your sense and fill your energy for your upcoming destinations.
Overnight in Sao Pedro do Sul.
Day 5 : SAO PEDRO DO SUL – PORTO (120 km – 1.5 hrs)
Big farewell to Sao Pedro do Sul! After your tasty breakfast continue driving back to Oporto. Enjoy the drive along the attractive landscape, perhaps stop at one of the local village for a short refreshment. After the check-in in the hotel, stroll down the streets of Oporto, and visit some of the cultural places of interest, the Serralves Museum and gardens, climb up Torre dos Clérigos, ride on the old trams and visit Livraria Lello. When in Oporto you need to try the famous Francesinha, composed of steak, sliced ham and spicy sausage between toasted bread, all covered with melted cheese and a hot sauce, the recipe for which is a well-kept secret.
Overnight in Oporto.
Day 6 : DEPARTURE PORTO
Spend your last morning in Portugal savouring your breakfast. Then, return the rental car at the Oporto Airport and prepare for your return flight.