Short Break Terceira Island, Self-drive
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
Join this four-day self-drive tour to discover the volcanic island of Terceira, in the Azores Archipelago. Visit its most emblematic places at your own pace, and enjoy a tour to explore the island with a local guide. Experience a whale watching guided tour to meet countless forms of aquatic, whales, dolphins, turtles, fish and marine birds in their natural habitat, as you learn about the rich and varied marine biodiversity of the island.
Terceira Island: also called ‘The Lilac Island’, a perfect balance between the natural beauty of this volcanic island and the admirable work of man in the historic centre of Angra do Heroísmo make this place one of a kind.
Whale watching: the Azores islands are considered the best stop in the Atlantic Ocean when it comes to whale watching. Nowadays, our seas are just a perfect sanctuary for these amazing and beautiful creatures of nature, some of the resident and others just migratory.
- Operated with Portuguese-, and English-speaking local guide during activities on a shared basis (Day 2, 3)
- 3 night’s accommodation
- 3 Breakfasts
- 1 Lunch at a local restaurant
- 1 Dinner at a local restaurant
- Shared transportation in an air-conditioning during the included activity (Day 2)
ENTRANCE FEES & ACTIVITIES:
- All entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary: Terceira Island full-day tour (Day 2); Whale watching half-day tour (Day 3)
- Meet & Greet
- Unlimited Mileage
- Road Assistance 24 hours
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
- Subject to an excess
- Road tax & VAT
- Entrance fee Algar do Carvão
- Domestic flights
- International flights
- Drinks during meals (unless specified otherwise)
- City tax not included, payable on the spot
- Any visit not mentioned in the program
- Porterage and gratuities
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals or items not stated explicitly in the program
- Any alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, mineral water, camera/video camera fee (if any)
- Travel Insurance or any loss or extra cost arising due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays, accidents, etc.
EXCLUSIONS CAR HIRE:
- Super collision damage waiver (SCDW)
- Personal assistance insurance (PAI)
- Windscreen damage waiver (WDW)
- Coverage of rims and tires
- Non-waivable excess
- Refuelling charge
- Other extras and charges not mentioned in the included items
- Arrival or departure flight outside of car rental office opening hours will be charged as an extra on the spot
- Due to the fleet updating, the models of Car Hire can be replaced by similar ones
- It is necessary that the client presents a credit card for Car Hire
- We reserve the right to change itineraries and activities due to weather conditions, technical problems or security reasons
- Early check-in, late check-out, connecting or adjoining rooms in the hotel are subject to availability and not guaranteed
- In many hotels in Portugal, the triple rooms are a double room with an additional bed or sofa bed. Their comfort conditions are lower than the international standards of the triple room
- No refund for unused services. Splitting of the package is not allowed
What do I need to bring?
- Comfortable and light clothing is the most suitable for travelling in Portugal. Visitors should not wear sleeveless shirts, shorts, short skirts or skimpy clothing when visiting temples, religious or official buildings. Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay
- Documentation for the car hire: valid personal ID, driver license, credit card and voucher
Day 1-3 Angra do Heroismo
- Superior Hotel Category = Angra Garden or similar 4*
CAR HIRE OPTIONS
- Car Group C = Seat Ibiza or similar
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL TERCEIRA – ANGRA DO HEROISMO (20km – 30 min)
After arriving at Terceira Airport, a tour representative will meet and greet you. Then go pick up your rental car, travel instructions and documents (recommended arrival time from 06:00 am to 11:59 pm). Once you arrive at the hotel and settle in, we suggest starting from Angra do Heroísmo, and visit its most important landmarks such as Rua Direita and Cathedral da Sé. Don’t miss Jardim Duque da Terceira, a garden located in the heart of Angra and considered one of the most beautiful gardens in the Azores, featuring a great variety of botanical species. You could also stop at Teatro Angrense, and try one of the typical sweets, the D. Amélia tarts. Now that the sun is almost setting, drive to Monte Brasil. Located on the south coast of the island, it is part of a Natural Reserve and all its fauna, flora and marine area belong to the Terceira Island Natural Park. The place counts on belvederes for the visitors to appreciate the stunning sunset over the city. In the evening, you can ask your hotel reception for restaurant recommendations to discover Terceira’s gastronomy before spending the first night in the hotel.
Overnight in Angra do Heroismo.
Day 2 : ANGRA DO HEROISMO – MONTE BRASIL – PRAIA DA VITÓRIA – SERRA DO CUME – ALGAR DO CARVÃO – FURNAS DO ENXOFRE – BISCOITOS – ANGRA DO HEROISMO (85km – 2hr)
Have breakfast at the hotel, before departing for a Terceira full-day tour at around 09:00 am. The first stop will be at Monte Brasil, to have a day overview of the city. After this first stop, you will be able to visit the east side of the island, passing by the villages all the way to Praia da Vitória, the second city of the island. Here you will have a short walk after visiting the main church of the city. Serra do Facho is the next stop with magnificent views of the city of Praia da Vitoria. Shortly afterwards, continue to Serra do Cume with a beautiful landscape over the “patchwork blanket” – the most iconic spot of the island. Around midday, enjoy lunch at a local restaurant (included) and shortly after, you will go inland, where you can visit Algar do Carvão (entrance not included) and Furnas do Enxofre, the proof of the volcanic activity of the island. The tour will proceed to the village of Biscoitos, with a visit to the Wine Museum (opening depends on the availability of the establishment) and the bathing area. Continuing on the north side of the island, back to Angra do Heroísmo you will have the opportunity to pass by Lagoa do Negro and Lagoa das Patas. Finally, yet importantly, visit and cheese tasting at the local factory, Vaqinha. You dropped off at the hotel in the afternoon, for a well-deserved rest.
Overnight in Angra do Heroismo.
Day 3 : ANGRA DO HEROISMO – WHALE WATCHING CENTRE – ANGRA DO HEROISMO (3hr by boat)
Wake up to early breakfast at the hotel, and drive to the Whale Watching Center for a half-day tour (we recommend to have a light meal before the trip). The activity starts at around 08:30 am, with a safety briefing about the weather conditions, the boat tour, and the species you are about to discover; safety vests and water coats will be also provided. This route is stunning; you will cruise by impressive sights over Terceira Island in a tour that will last about 3 hours. You will be back at around midday, just in time for lunch (own expense) and an afternoon at leisure. In the evening, drive to a local restaurant, and have a taste of the local speciality: the ‘Alcatra’, a pot roast that is traditionally cooked in large clay pots (included).
Overnight in Angra do Heroismo.
Day 4 : ANGRA DO HEROISMO – DEPARTURE TERCEIRA (20km – 30 min)
Start your last day with breakfast at your hotel. Then, when you feel ready, bid farewell to Portugal and drive back to Terceira Airport, where you will drop off the car and catch your flight back home.