Discovering Algarve and Alentejo, Self-drive
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
Choose this self-drive tour around the Algarve region and spend 15 memorable days exploring the superb culture and landscapes of this country. Visit its inspiring, lively towns and catch a glimpse of the scenic, historic villages. Stroll the beautifully arranged streets of Faro admiring its picturesque location, walk the mesmerizing alleys of the Roman town of Silves and Beja, enjoy the romantic spirit in the most beautiful town of the Algarve, Évora. Admire the architectural mixture of the Moorish and Portuguese elements presented on the city center´s frameworks and enjoy the local gastronomy and wine in the small fishing village of Olhão. This trip will fill all your senses and will leave great memories for the lifetime.
Faro: capital of Algarve, a getaway to this north-western region of Portugal and its fascinating history.
Silves: small picturesque town, its cobbled streets create the impression that the time stopped here. The town is famous for having the most well-preserved castle of the Algarve.
Évora: book of Portuguese art history, city written in the UNESCO World Heritage, perceiving the loving spirit of the local poets and art lovers.
Olhão: fishing village and one of the major ports of Algarve. Pleasant beaches and local restaurants attract the tourist to try the fresh seafood and other local delicates
- 14 night’s hotel accommodation
- 14 Breakfasts
- Unlimited mileage
- SCDW (additional insurance with obligatory police report) *
- TP (theft protection)
- Road assistance 24/7
- Replacement vehicle in a case of accident or breakdown
- Safety equipment (triangle, high visibility vest, fire extinguisher)
- Road map
- Meet & Greet
- Domestic nor International flights
- PAI (personal accident insurance)
- Drinks during meals (unless specified otherwise)
- City tax not included, payable on the spot
- Porterage and gratuities
- Tour guide
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals or items not stated explicitly in the program
- Any alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, mineral water, camera/video camera fee (if any)
- Travel Insurance or any loss or extra cost arising due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays, accidents, etc.
NOT INCLUDED IN CAR HIRE:
- Fuel, Fines, Tolls, Parking
- Damage to a third party or to the hire vehicle due to negligence or inappropriate driving.
- Loss or damage to aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle.
- Damage to the engine through negligence.
- Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition.
- Damage caused to the vehicle or to persons through driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Fines due to breaking traffic laws and regulations during the hire period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of a fine being received there will be an administration charge.
- If the car is left outside of rent a car designated area on drop off, customers will be responsible for any costs generated and for any damage to the vehicle due to it being parked outside of the Rent Car installations.
- Each additional driver.
- Any extra equipment (GPS, baby seat, etc.)
- Driver’s age from 26 to 75 years old (must have had their driver´s license for a minimum of one year)
- Pick-up hours are Monday through Sunday from 07:00 to 22:00 hrs. Additional surcharge will be paid if pick-up out of the office hours.
- Drivers who are not citizens of the European Union must present an international driver’s license together with the original from their country of origin.
- If the customer returns the vehicle earlier than the agreed-upon drop-off date stated in the rental contract, the rental company will not refund the customer for any unused days
- Deposit credit card Visa or MasterCard only
- Accident/theft reporting must be notified within 48 hours of the incident
- In cases where, following the return of the vehicle, additional cleaning is required due to the car being dirty beyond the level expected from normal vehicle use, an additional charge shall apply, against evidence of the cost of the service provided
- Instructions for the car collection
- Day 1: Heading first to the rent a car shuttle stop. Exact indications to be advised upon confirmation
- Day 8: Return procedure and the exact designated area will be advised by rent a car company when you pick up the car on arrival day
- We reserve the right to change itineraries and activities due to weather conditions, technical problems or security reasons.
- Late check-out, early check-in, connecting or adjoining rooms at the hotel are all subject to availability and not guaranteed.
Day 1 Faro
- Standard Hotel Category = Faro Boutique Hotel or similar 4*
Day 2, 3 Silves
- Standard Hotel Category = Colina dos Mouros or similar 4*
Day 4, 5 Beja
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Hotel Francis or similar 4*
Day 6, 7 Évora
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Vitoria Stone Hotel or similar 4*
Day 8, 9 Moura
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel de Moura or similar 4*
Day 10, 11 Alcoutim
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel D’Alcoutim or similar 4*
Day 12, 13 Tavira
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Maria Nova Lounge or similar 4*
Day 14 Olhão
- Standard Hotel Category = Quinta dos Poetas Nature Hotel or similar 4*
CAR HIRE OPTIONS
- Car Group C = eat Ibiza A/C or similar
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL FARO
Arrive at Faro International Airport, meet and greet by our local representative who will assist you with your car hire and inform you how to proceed on your departure day. Check-in to your hotel in Faro and if you’re itching to start exploring this fascinating capital of Algarve, stroll down its picturesque streets walking through the Arco da Vila that gives access to the old town, perhaps visit the Faro Municipal Museum and learn about the seafaring history of this city in a 5 long time exhibitions that present the origins of Faro from the Roman time until the present day. Igreja do Carmo, the Algarve’s most prized historical church built in majestic Portuguese Barroque architecture, and the Capela dos Ossos (Chapel of Bones) unveil you the mystery of the monks ‘lives and their theory of the ephemeral nature of human existence.
Overnight in Faro.
Day 2 : FARO – SILVES (65 km – 1 h)
Wake up to your tasty breakfast and get ready for your next destination. Silves is a delightful town, settled on the top of the hill above the Arade River. It was an ancient capital of Algarve, and Castle of Silves is still living evidence of the wealth and popularity of this town. Just below the castle there is a Silves Cathedral, Roman Bridge and Cruz de Portugal. While in Silves try typical local cake called Morgado de Silves. Is is made from almond and chila candy, stuffed with soft eggs and topped with royal icing, decorated with stands of eggs and marzipan shaped into small shapes that represent elements of the Algarve nature.
Overnight in Silves.
Day 3 : SILVES
Enjoy your morning breakfast at the hotel. Today you can carry on exploring the Silves region. As a regional capital in one of the kingdoms of Taifa and a commercial and cultural centre, the roots of the Arabic influence are still presents in the local architecture and some of the local gastronomy. Walk down its alleys and streets and admire the Arabic elements and azulejos, decorative tiles that are shaping local frameworks. You can go to see the lovely resort town of Lagos, and take a swim in one of the golden sandy beaches.
Overnight in Silves.
Day 4 : SILVES – BEJA (140 km – 2 hrs)
Start your day with the breakfast at the hotel and get ready for your following destination. Today you will drive to Beja, small historic town, capital of the roman ages under the Julius Ceasar regime. Beja was not only roman city but its architecture disclose the Moorish impact on the local building design, visible in the cobbled streets and houses in the old town. Medieval Castle from 13th century, the important fortress in the battles to defend Portugal’s borders. Interesting spot to see is Sé Cathedral, Church of Santo Amaro, Rainha D Leonor Regional Museum and St. Mary of the Market Church.
Overnight in Beja.
Day 5 : BEJA
Begin your day with the tasty breakfast at the hotel and continue exploring the beautiful region of Alentejo. Today you can drive to the charming villages of Serpa and Aljustrel, settled in the beautiful landscape created by the river Guadians. The landscape of Serpa is stunning, not only because of beautiful architecture and historic walls in the historic centre, but also on the magnificent, extensive plain and the rose-covered hills around the village. Serpa historic city centre hides monuments worthy to visit, such as Gothic-style Mother Churches, Nossa Senhora da Saúde or Misericórdia, as well as archaeological and ethnographic museums. Third oldest Tower clock is located here. Encourage yourself to try some of the local dishes, lamb stew, açorda, grains with garlic and laurel, and traditional sweets such as gila puffs and curd cheese, delight everyone´s senses. Drive to another roman village, Aljustrel and en-route admire the tranquil landscape, green valleys and rocky hills that surrounds this hidden roman gem of Alentejo region.
Overnight in Beja.
Day 6 : BEJA – ÉVORA (95 km – 1.5 hrs)
Morning breakfast at the hotel is a great beginning of your new venture. Drive to Évora, city commonly known as the book of Portuguese art history. The name came from the Celtic word, Ebora and nowadays it is one of the most romantic cities of Portugal, classified in the UNESCO World Heritage. Templo de Diana (Diana Temple), Catedral da Sé, Capela dos Ossos, are just few sites to visit, on which you will learn why this city was chosen by the Portuguese kings as their residence. Delicious local gastronomy cannot be ignored, as its Migas com carne, leftover bread, soaked in water, garlic, spices and combined with braised pork, is luscious experience for the foodie lovers.
Overnight in Évora.
Day 7 : ÉVORA
After the morning breakfast at the hotel, stroll down the narrow streets of Évora again, and absorb it´s romantic atmosphere. Explore the hidden corners of the city, and enjoy the well tasted sweets and dishes at one of the local restaurant. Get a deeper insight into the local culture by visiting the Museu de Évora and learn why this city is so welcoming and charming throughout the centuries.
Overnight in Évora.
Day 8 : ÉVORA – MOURA (120 km – 1.5 hrs)
Enjoy your luscious breakfast at the hotel and get ready to explore the Moorish legends. Today you drive to town Moura, named after the Moorish Princess Moura Saluqia. The legend says the story of Saluquia that threw herself from one of the towers of the castle, after she discovered that her lover was killed. Visit the Castle of Moura on your own and explore further the history of this heartbroken story. Further on Convento das Dominicanas, Convento do Carmo and Azeite de Moura are worthy site to visit in the city centre, and relaxing cup of coffee in the heart of the city, is an excellent meeting point, with coffee shops, sidewalk cafés and many local shops.
Overnight in Moura.
Day 9 : MOURA
Wake up to the tasty breakfast at the hotel, and proceed further to learn about the interesting history of Moura. Any stroll through the town must surely include a visit to the Mouraria, one of the largest and best preserved Moorish quarters in the whole country, displaying all the typical characteristics of Arab residential areas.
Overnight in Moura.
Day 10 : MOURA – ALCOUTIM (155 km – 2.5 hrs)
Enjoy your breakfast at the hotel and the last moments in this tranquil atmosphere of Moura. Today you will drive to Alcoutim, hidden treasure in the Algarve region. This charming river town is set among beautiful green hills and valleys, and emanate the tranquillity of the surrounding nature. Check-in to your hotel and explore on your own pale the history of this picturesque town.
Overnight in Alcoutim.
Day 11 : ALCOUTIM
Tasty breakfast is a great start for the following Alcoutim discovery. Emerge yourself into the local vibe of this charming town, visit it’s Castelo de Alcoutim, built in 13th century as a defensive strategic fortress, Sanlucar de Guadiana, Igraja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição and Igreja Matriz de Alcoutim, and uncover the beauty of this place.
Overnight in Alcoutim.
Day 12 : ALCOUTIM – TAVIRA (70 km – 1.5 hrs)
After the breakfast continue to Tavira. Tavira is small finishing village located on the bank of the river Gilãi and with superb island beaches in easy to reach, it is a wonderful destination for ending your trip. Coquet mixture of the Moorish and Portuguese architecture is very present in here, and Torre de Tavira, Catelo de Tavira and Igreja da Misericordia are some of the proofs that perceive this unique and fascinating history. Concealed within the labyrinth of narrow streets are traditionally tiled houses, local restaurants, and many decorative churches.
Overnight in Tavira.
Day 13 : TAVIRA
Enjoy your breakfast at the hotel and the last moments in this tranquil atmosphere of Tavira. Today you can visit surrounding villages of Olhão, Vila Real de Snato Antonio and Cabanas and learn more about the local lifestyle and tradition.
Overnight in Tavira.
Day 14 : TAVIRA – OLHÃO (30 km – 0.5 h)
Begin your day with a delicious breakfast before driving to Olhão. Olhão is a breath-taking sight, surrounded by immersing golden beaches. Enjoy these relaxing atmosphere of the fishing town, perhaps taste the local sea food at one of the restaurant to appease your gastronomic interest, or stroll down the narrow streets of the old quarters of the town and visit the Igreja Nossa Senhora do Rosário, Museu da Cidade, Mercado de Olhão.
Overnight in Olhâo.
Day 15 : OLHÃO – DEPARTURE FARO (15 km – 0.5 h)
Spend your last morning in Olhão savouring your breakfast. Then, hop in to your car and drive back to Faro, return the rental car at the Faro Airport and prepare for your return flight.