Discover Madeira, Self-Drive
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
Choose this self-drive tour around Madeira and spend 8 memorable days exploring the superb culture and landscapes of this island. Drive along the emerald coastline passing through the charming fish villages Santo da Sierra and Boaventura, take in to the beautiful waterfall called “Veu da Noiva” (The bride’s veil) and discover the legend about the unfulfilled love. Melt into the flavours and aromas by the typical dishes of the local gastronomy in Ponta do Sol and in Funchal, experience the vivid and attractive vibe of the Portuguese culture and traditions. This trip will fill all your senses and will leave great memories for the lifetime.
Boaventura: locally known as nature’s sanctuary due to its unspoiled and green landscape, perfect place for those seeking a relaxing and restful holidays
Ponto do sol: small, tranquil village situated on the southeast coastline of the island, one of the sunniest part of Madeira
Balcões: beautiful place hidden in the Ribeiro Frio Mountains, exemplify the raw, untamed beauty of Portugal’s mountain likes landscape
- 7 night’s hotel accommodation
- 7 Breakfasts
- Unlimited mileage
- SCDW (additional insurance with obligatory police report) *
- TP (theft protection)
- Road assistance 24/7
- Replacement vehicle in a case of accident or breakdown
- Safety equipment (triangle, high visibility vest, fire extinguisher)
- Road map
- Meet & Greet
- Domestic nor International flights
- PAI (personal accident insurance)
- Drinks during meals (unless specified otherwise)
- City tax not included, payable on the spot
- Porterage and gratuities
- Tour guide
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals or items not stated explicitly in the program
- Any alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, mineral water, camera/video camera fee (if any)
- Travel Insurance or any loss or extra cost arising due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays, accidents, etc.
NOT INCLUDED IN CAR HIRE:
- Fuel, Fines, Tolls, Parking
- Damage to a third party or to the hire vehicle due to negligence or inappropriate driving.
- Loss or damage to aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle.
- Damage to the engine through negligence.
- Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition.
- Damage caused to the vehicle or to persons through driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Fines due to breaking traffic laws and regulations during the hire period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of a fine being received there will be an administration charge.
- If the car is left outside of rent a car designated area on drop off, customers will be responsible for any costs generated and for any damage to the vehicle due to it being parked outside of the Rent Car installations.
- Each additional driver.
- Any extra equipment (GPS, baby seat, etc.)
- Driver’s age from 26 to 75 years old (must have had their driver´s license for a minimum of one year)
- Pick-up hours are Monday through Sunday from 07:00 to 22:00 hrs. Additional surcharge will be paid if pick-up out of the office hours.
- Drivers who are not citizens of the European Union must present an international driver’s license together with the original from their country of origin.
- If the customer returns the vehicle earlier than the agreed-upon drop-off date stated in the rental contract, the rental company will not refund the customer for any unused days
- Deposit credit card Visa or MasterCard only
- Accident/theft reporting must be notified within 48 hours of the incident
- In cases where, following the return of the vehicle, additional cleaning is required due to the car being dirty beyond the level expected from normal vehicle use, an additional charge shall apply, against evidence of the cost of the service provided
- Instructions for the car collection
- Day 1: Heading first to the rent a car shuttle stop. Exact indications to be advised upon confirmation
- Day 8: Return procedure and the exact designated area will be advised by rent a car company when you pick up the car on arrival day
- We reserve the right to change itineraries and activities due to weather conditions, technical problems or security reasons.
- Late check-out, early check-in, connecting or adjoining rooms at the hotel are all subject to availability and not guaranteed.
Day 1, 2 Santo da Serra
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Enotel Golf or similar 4*
Day 3, 4 Boaventura
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Solar Boaventura or similar 3*
Day 5, 6 Ponta do Sol
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Enotel Baia or similar 4*
Day 7 Funchal
- Standard Hotel Category = Hotel Ocean Gardens or similar 4*
CAR HIRE OPTIONS
- Car Group A = Renault Twing / Fiat Panda or similar
- Car Group B = Fiar Punto / Nissan Micra or similar
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL MADEIRA – SANTO DA SIERRA (10 km – 15 min)
Arrive at Madeira International Airport, meet and greet by our local representative who will assist you with your car hire and inform you how to proceed on your departure day. Hop in to your car and drive to Santo Da Sierra for the first overnight. Check-in to your hotel and if you’re itching to start exploring this fascinating town, stroll down its picturesque streets and visit the “Quinta do Santo da Serra” where you can get a glimpse of the Madeira vegetation and mesmerising variety of flowers and plants. Visit to the stables. And surrounded farms and get a touch of the local rural spirit of this place. You can take a short drive to Machito, sea side town, with a gold sand beaches, walk along the seafront and enjoy spectacular views over the sea and the island.
Overnight in Santo da Sierra.
Day 2 : SANTO DA SIERRA
Wake up to your tasty breakfast and get ready for your new experience. Drive Santo da Serra, passing by Poiso, Ribeiro Frio, Faial. On your way to Ribeiro Frio you can make a small stop and hike up to the third highest peak “Pico do Areeiro”. Continue driving through our enchanting and magical “Laurissilva” forest, until you get to Ribeiro Frio a well-known place by it trout hatchery. Climb up to Balcões (short one hour hike) is a must, you will get a breath-taking views over this mountainous part of the island and you will filled your senses by this pure natural gems.
Overnight in Santo da Sierra.
Day 3 : SANTO DA SIERRA – BOAVENTURA (60 km – 1.5 hrs)
Enjoy your morning breakfast at the hotel and after check-out. Today carry on exploring beautiful Madeira. Depart from Santo da Serra to Faial and enjoy the natural emerald views over the coastline that this small picturesque village of Santana reveals, maybe stop for a meal at the local restaurants and have a delightful fresh fish or other sea delicate. Continue along the breath-taking north coastline towards the tiny little village of Boaventura, passing through Porto Moniz, home to a gorgeous natural swimming pools hidden in the rocks. Check-in to your hotel in Boaventura and enjoy the greenish landscape that surrounds this voluptuous town.
Overnight in Boaventura.
Day 4 : BOAVENTURA
Start your day with the breakfast at the hotel and get ready for your new adventure. Drive through this beautiful countryside and get a deeper inside into the local country by enjoying the local gastronomy and warm welcoming of the local people. Drive along the coastline and stop to see the wonderful waterfalls, São Vicente and Encumeada Pass display their magnificent views over the north and south of the island, if the weather permit you can even see the island of Porto Santo.
Overnight in Boaventura.
Day 5 : BOAVENTURA – PONTA DO SOL (35 km – 0.45 hrs)
After the energizing breakfast at the hotel, check out from the hotel and depart towards Ponta do Sol, charming harbour settled on the south-western coast of the island. On the way do not miss to visit waterfall called “Veu da Noiva” (The bride’s veil) and discover the Portuguese story about the unfulfilled love. Local people believe that all couples passing by this spot, have to kiss here so they can happily live together forever. In Porto Moniz, take a pleasure at the natural volcanic swimming pools and enjoy a local fish speciality “arroz de Lapas” at one of the restaurants that were signed in the Guinness book by being the restaurant cooking the biggest “arroz de Lapas” (Limpet’s rice) in the world. After lunch heads towards the Paul da Serra Plateau (the only one in Madeira) and then drive down passing the village of Calheta. Once in Ponta do Sol, in this “sunny corner of Madeira”, check in to your hotel. Enjoy the rest of the day at the local cobbled stone beach and take a refreshing swim in the sea, maybe snorkel and discover the thrilling underwater world.
Overnight in Ponta do Sol.
Day 6 : PONTA DO SOL
Wake up to your luscious breakfast at the hotel and enjoy the whole day at leisure. You can enjoy the beach in Ponta do Sol or you can take a ride to the closest villages and explore this beautiful region more profound. From Baia do Sol, it is a short distance to the villages of Jardim do Mar and Paul do Mar, small fishing villages with a wonderful and romantic landscapes. From Paul do Mar you can drive up and head to Prazeres. Take a pleasure in this tranquil vivid landscapes and savour the fresh flavours of local gastronomy.
Overnight in Ponta do Sol.
Day 7 : PONTA DO SO – FUNCHAL (25 km – 0.5 hrs)
After morning breakfast at the hotel, depart towards Funchal, modern and vivid cosmopolitan city. En-route you will be passing by blooming vineyards and banana trees. Stop in Ribeira Brava, charming village, perhaps take a walk through picturesque streets and busy square, and get deeper inside of the tranquil local vibe. Take a short hike up to the second highest sea cliff in the world “Cabo Girão” situated close to the villages Campanário and Quinta Grande, and after continue to Câmara de Lobos, small fish village on the east part of the island. Once in Fuchal, check-in to your hotel and set out for discovering this bustling city. Funchal is the paradise for those searching for a lively atmosphere, it is full of hotels, restaurants and bars that can be found in the heart of the old town, and together with the local markets create unique vibrant spirit of this place.
Overnight in Funchal.
Day 8 : FUNCHAL – DEPARTURE MADEIRA (20 km – 0.5 hrs)
Spend your last morning in Funchal, savouring your breakfast. Then, hop in to your car and drive back to Madeira, return the rental car at the Madeira Airport and prepare for your return flight.