Cape Verde Santiago Island
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
Join our four-day tour and explore the gems of the largest island of Cape Verde, Santiago. Cradle of cape-verdianity the island offers a unique cultural, gastronomic experience filled with scenic landscapes and beautiful beaches. Come and discover the roots of the Portuguese oldest settlement in Cidade Velha and go through the history of the political imprisonment in Tarrafal prison. The picturesque town of Praia will offer you delightful restaurants, shops and walks along the coast and its alleys. This African vibe with European sway will tender your senses and leave a memorable moment for a lifetime.
Praia: bustling, a vibrant city built over the basaltic platform which created an area of Plateau.
Cidade Velha: the first European colonial settlement. Royal fortress and churches are the gems of this colonial influence, in 2009 became a UNESCO World Heritage.
Tarrafal: a lovely town with pretty sandy cove, fantastic for snorkeling and relaxing. Nearby there is Tarrafal prison as a symbol of the prisoners of conscience
- Operated with an English or Portuguese speaking local guides during the activities (Day 2 and 3)
- 3 nights’ accommodation
- 3 Breakfast
- Arrival shared transfer from Santiago Airport to the hotel in Praia
- Departure shared transfer from Praia to Santiago Airport
- Transportation through the itinerary on a shared basis
ENTRANCES FEES AND ACTIVITIES:
- Half-day tour of Cidade Velha (on day 2); Full-day tour to Tarrafal (on day 3)
- Meet and Greet (Day 1)
- International nor domestic flights
- Travel Insurance
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Any applicable visa or TSA fees
- Airport Taxes
- Optional activities and excursions
- Touristic city tax (paid directly at the hotel)
- Hotel early check-out, early check-in, late check-in, connecting or adjoining rooms are all subject to availability and not guaranteed
- No refunds for unused services. Splitting the package is not allowed.
- Please note that local conditions prevalent at the time of travel may result in modifications to the contents of the tour without prior notice, including possible changes of hotels and/or itinerary
- Please note the touristic city tax has to be paid directly at the hotel.
Day 1, 2, 3 Praia:
- Standard Hotel Category = Oasis Praia Mar or similar 3*
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL SANTIAGO – PRAIA (35 km – 0.45 hrs)
Welcome to the beautiful Portugal. Upon arrival at Santiago International Airport, you will be met and greeted by our English speaking tour representative who will assist you with the transfer to your hotel in the center of Satiago. If you’re feeling knackered after the flight, you can stay in the hotel to put your feet up and make the most of the available services. But if you’re itching to start exploring this fascinating city, then hit the streets and make your own way towards those tourist attractions, restaurants or shops that spark your interest the most. Take the opportunity to visit the City of Praia (Praia de Sta Maria), as it is built on a balsamic platform overlooking the bay, the whole area is known as the “Plateau.” Stroll down the streets of this lovely town, stop for a coffee at one of the pleasant esplanades or just relax in the garden, and all options are the excellent way to spend the afternoon. Visiting the local markets the real commercial centers and come in contact with the local habits and customs.
Overnight in Praia.
Day 2 : PRAIA – CUIDADE VELHA – PRAIA (30 km – 1 h)
Begin the day with a tasty breakfast at your hotel and get ready for your first experience. Meet your guide at the reception of the hotel, get on to a shared bus and after 30 minutes driving you will arrive to the first capital of Cape Verde, Cuidade Velha. Enjoy this half-day experience, walk through this village and discover the history of it visiting Sao Filipe Fortress, Cathedral the church of Rosario Holy Lady and Sao Francisco Convent. The tour will finish at noon, perfect time to have lunch and afterwards you will drive back to Paraia to explore the Plateau jewels in a Paraia city tour, such as Square of Alexandre de Albuquerque and old colonial architecture displayed on the façade of Palacio de Justicia and the Church dating back to 1900. In the late afternoon you will be back to your hotel.
Overnight in Praia.
Day 3 : PRAIA – TARAFAL – PRAIA (140 km – 3 hrs)
Wake up early to breakfast at your hotel, and get ready for your pick up to Sao Domingos. Meet your guide at the hotel´s reception at 9:00 am and begin your trip with the drive to this town, known for its handcraft center. From here you continue to Sao Jorge dos Orgaos to be taken for a relaxing walk through the beautiful gardens of the National Botanic Garden. The highest point of the island, Pico da Antonia, could be seen from here. Follo to Assomada, the second largest city of Santiago to find Tabanka Museum and a typical street market. After the stop at ex-political prison of Tarrafal, there will be a lunch break (on your own expenses) and afterwards a nice little walk through this village and its lovely beach. On the way back to Praia, you will drive through the Porto famosos, Calheta se Sao Miguel and Pedra Badejo. You should be back at your hotel approx. at 5:00 pm.
Overnight in Praia.
Day 4 : PRAIA – DEPARTURE SANTIAGO (35 km – 0.45 hrs)
After breakfast, it is time to say goodbye to Santiago. Enjoy your last breakfast at the hotel, if the time permits stroll down the streets of Praia for the last time, check out from the hotel and at agreed time you will be picked up at the hotel and transferred to the Santiago Airport to catch your return flight back home (We recommend you to book your outbound flight not earlier than 6:00 pm).