Bike & Eco Tour
Yucatan, Private tour
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
Pack your bags and prepare yourself for seven intense days of biking in the jungly natural surroundings of the Yucatan Peninsula. Discover mysterious Mayan cultural treasures, outstanding nature reserves, charming colonial towns and even archaic cave paintings. Breathe in the fresh air of nature and challenge yourself on this adventurous bike tour of Yucatan. Opt for a hotel extension and round off the trip in beautiful Playa del Carmen.
Ria Lagartos: 395 species of birds reside in this biosphere reserve where you can observe flamboyance of flamingos and crocodiles roaming the mangroves.
Chichen Itza: Uncover the mysteries of the Maya civilisation at this ancient archaeological site dominated by the imposing Temple of Kukulkan.
Izamal: This ‘magical town’ is known as the ‘City of Hills’ because of its numerous ruins of Maya pyramids.
Merida: Yucatan’s ‘White City’ is famed for its elegant 19th-century tree-lined boulevards.
Uxmal: The enormous Pyramid of the Magician found in this UNESCO World Heritage Site majestically rises above the jungle canopy.
Valladolid: Visit this historic colonial city and explore its charming magical alleys.
- Operated with English or Spanish-speaking licensed local guide on a shared basis from day 2 to day 6
- 6 nights’ accommodation
- 6 breakfasts
- Air-conditioned transportation with pick-up/drop-off as indicated in the itinerary
ENTRANCE FEES AND ACTIVITIES:
- All entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary: Ek Balam archaeological site (day 3), guided visit of of Chichen Itza (day 3), guided visit of Uxmal (day 5), Loltun Cave (day 5), Cenote Xkeken (day 6)
- Motorway tolls and parking fees
- Mechanical assistance (Day 2-6)
- Cleaning assistance every 2 days
- Transportation service for the cyclists during the bicycle tours
- Mountain bike, helmet and professional biking equipment (Available brands/ types: Trek, Giant, Benotto, Specialized, Cypress; Hybrid bikes on request and subject to availability)
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals if not stated explicitly in the programme
- Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Riviera Maya, Puerto Morelos, Mahahual and Chetumal environmental sanitation right tax (payable on spot)
- Optional tours
- International /domestic flight tickets or Mexican visa fees
- Gratuities for drivers and guides
- Border taxes
- Airport departure tax
- Gratuities for porters and chambermaids.
- Local conditions prevalent at the time of travel may result in modifications to the tour contents without prior notice
- Bicycle preference can be indicated in advance (At least 30 days before arrival). Included brands are Trek, Giant, Benotto, Specialized, Cypress or Hybrid (this last one is on request and subject to availability)
- In case of any incident, a mechanic is available, as well as a Bike change in case of malfunction
- During cycling paths, vehicle goes along with you in case you get tired or simply you do not want to continue anymore.
- The assigned guide and group size may change during the itinerary
- Please note that on days 1 & 7, there will be no guide service
What do I need to bring?
Comfortable and light clothing is the most suitable for travelling in Mexico. Visitors should not wear sleeveless shirts, shorts, short skirts or skimpy clothing when visiting temples, religious or official buildings. Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay.
Day 1 Cancún:
- Standard Hotel Category: La Quinta Inn Cancun or similar 3*
Day 2 Rio Lagartos:
- Standard Hotel Category: Tabasco Rio or similar 3*
Day 3 Chichen Itza:
- Standard Hotel Category: Villas Arqueologicas or similar 3*
Day 4 Merida:
- Standard Hotel Category: Del Gobernador or similar 3*
Day 5 Ticul:
- Standard Hotel Category: Posada el Jardin , Hotel Plaza or similar 3*
Day 6 Playa del Carmen:
- Standard Hotel Category:Las Golondrinas or similar 3*
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL CANCUN
Arrive at Cancun airport, where a representative will meet and greet you. Then, enjoy a comfortable transfer to the selected hotel and have the rest of the day at leisure.
Overnight in Cancun.
Day 2 : CANCUN – RIA LAGARTOS (250km – 3 hrs)
After breakfast, we pick you up from your hotel in Cancun to start this unforgettable Yucatan experience. The first stop of the trip is at Ria Lagartos. The colourful Ria Lagartos nature reserve is known for its fantastic bird-watching, so prepare to spot colonies of wild flamingos painting a pink hue over the water. Enjoy this incredible natural environment, and perhaps give yourself a spa-like exfoliating mud bath in the salty waters.
Overnight in Ria Lagartos.
Day 3 : RIA LAGARTOS – LAS COLORADAS – EK BALAM – CHICHEN ITZA (200km / 23km by bike)
After a savoury breakfast, we start our cycling adventure. Upon departure, we cycle 23 kilometres, arriving at Las Coloradas, an area known for its salt production. Admire the pink-toned water of the salt flats juxtaposed to pristine white-sand beaches and turquoise water, along with plentiful wildlife to spot. From here we go by vehicle to the Ek Balam archaeological site, which in the Mayan language means ‘Black Jaguar’. Visit the Central Square and its ceremonial structures such as the main pyramid, which is known as the Acropolis, to enjoy the views over this complex boasting some 45 structures. It is one of the most impressive Maya ruins and features a royal entrance with a remarkably well-preserved stucco fresco surrounded by the open jaws and fangs of a jaguar. Ek Balam still remains fairly under the tourist radar, which makes it perfect for an enjoyable time discovering the area without hordes of people. If you are a bit warm from the day’s exercise, feel free to take a dip in a beautiful cenote – an underground, sacred sinkhole. From here, we drive onwards to Chichen Itza and check in to the hotel.
Overnight in Chichen Itza.
Day 4 : CHICHEN ITZA – IZAMAL – MERIDA (135km / 75km by bike)
Enjoy a tasty breakfast at the hotel and head out on a guided visit of the legendary Maya city of Chichen Itza, which has been laboriously reclaimed from the jungle. Learn about the Maya and their civilisation as you admire the scale and details of this ancient city. Behold the geometric perfection of the 25-metre-tall Temple of Kukulkan, popularly known as El Castillo (‘the Castle’), which was built both as a representation of the mystical Maya calendar and to reflect the optical illusion of a serpent snaking its way up or down the pyramid during the spring and autumn equinoxes. Admire the Great Ball Court, the largest of the 13 discovered at this site, see the haunting Skull Platform, where the heads of human sacrifice victims and prisoners of war were impaled, and also the Sacred Cenote, where sacrifice victims were dumped. Also extremely well-preserved are the Temple of the Warriors, the Ossuary, the Nunnery and adjacent Church, and the large observatory known as the Snail. You will get some free time to explore by yourself and take pictures. From Chichen Itza, we will cycle to Izamal, located 75 kilometres away. Izamal, whose Mayan name means ‘Heavenly Dew’, is known as the ‘Yellow City’ due to the yellow and cream hues of its buildings. In the centre, admire the Convent of St Anthony of Padua, which stands on a former Maya pyramid. Afterwards, continue the beautiful colonial town of Merida. Yucatan’s ‘White City’ is famed for the elegant tree-lined boulevards from the 19th century.
Overnight in Merida.
Day 5 : MERIDA – RUTA PUUC – UXMAL – LOLTUN CAVE – TICUL (160km / 80km by bike)
After breakfast at the hotel, we travel by bicycle to the archaeological site of Uxmal during an 80-kilometre journey. We follow a part of the ancient Ruta Puuc (‘Puuc Route’), a set of secondary roadways that connects several smaller Mayan villages. From here, we arrive at the archaeological site of Uxmal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which as you approach it comes into view rising above the canopy of the jungle. Unlike other Mayan cities, Uxmal was devoured by the rainforest after the Spaniards had arrived. The most famous structure is the 35-metre-tall Pyramid of the Magician, which towers over the remarkably well-preserved Nunnery Quadrangle with its ornately carved interior and exterior walls. Across the central plaza, just beyond the ballgame court, is the Governor’s Palace with its elaborately decorated roof. At the southern end of the main complex is the Great Pyramid, of which only one side has been excavated with the other three still unclaimed from the bush. Enjoy a guided visit followed by some free time to roam the site. Afterwards, we continue to Loltun Cave, which in Maya stands for ‘flower stone’. This impressive cave extends around two kilometres in length, houses ancient wall paintings, and has served as a human shelter for over 10,000 years. End the day by arriving at Ticul for hotel check-in.
Overnight in Ticul.
Day 6 : TICUL – CANTAMAYEC – VALLADOLID – CENOTE XKEKEN – PLAYA DEL CARMEN (350km / 57km by bike)
Indulge in a delicious breakfast before we hop on our bicycles heading towards the small town of Cantamayec (or nearby) for a 57 kilometres ride. From there we drive to colonial Valladolid, one of Mexico’s ‘magical towns’, founded in 1543 and showcasing beautiful architecture. See some of its highlights, like the Cathedral of San Gervasio, the town’s central park, the collonaded municipal palace and the multitude of art galleries. Afterwards, we go to Cenote Xkeken to unwind for a while. Feel free to snorkel and swim or just relax. We then continue to the Playa del Carmen hotel for check-in.
Overnight in Playa del Carmen.
Day 7 : PLAYA DEL CARMEN – DEPART CANCUN AIRPORT
After a delicious breakfast at the hotel, enjoy a comfortable transfer to the airport to continue with your travel arrangements. Have a great journey!