Through the Rift Valley, Sopa Lodges
* This product requests separate payment. Promotion code or coupon from Ticket Here is not applicable.
This is a short but extremely rewarding safari as it gives you the great opportunity to gain first-hand experience of the Great Rift Valley and the vast game-rich plains of Maasai Mara. The Rift Valley lakes are famous for their abundance of flamingos and other waterfowl, while Maasai Mara is home to the country’s greatest concentration of wildlife.
Maasai Mara National Reserve: situated in south-west Kenya and is one of Africa’s Greatest Wildlife Reserves, and where the world’s largest multi-species migration takes place. Across the vast plains of the Mara, visitors are able to witness lions, cheetahs, leopards, elephants, and an infinite variety of other species in their natural habitats.
Lake Nakuru National Park: on the floor of the Great Rift Valley, lies the beautiful Lake Nakuru National Park. Visitors can enjoy the wide ecological diversity and varied habitats that range from Lake Nakuru itself to the surrounding escarpment and picturesque ridges. It is ideal for bird watching and game drives.
- Operated with bilingual English-, French-, German-, Italian- or Spanish-speaking local driver-guide throughout the tour (The assigned local driver-guide may change during the itinerary. Airport transfers will be operated with English-speaking drivers)
- 4 night’s accommodation
- 4 Breakfasts
- 3 Lunches
- 3 Dinners
- Arrival and departure private airport transfer in an air-conditioning car from/to Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
- 4×4 vehicle with a pop-up roof and guaranteed window seat during game drives and all transportation throughout the tour (maximum 7 persons per vehicle) on a private basis
ENTRANCE FEES & ACTIVITIES:
- All entrance fees and activities mentioned in the itinerary: 1 game drive at Maasai Mara National Reserve (Day 2); 2 game drives at game drive at Maasai Mara National Reserve (Day 3); 1 game drive at Lake Nakuru National Park (Day 4); Lake Naivasha boat ride (Day 5)
- Meet & Greet
- Government taxes
- 1 bottle of mineral water (500ml) per person per day on game drives
- International flights
- Domestic flights
- International flights
- Drinks during meals (unless specified otherwise)
- Any visit not mentioned in the program
- Porterage and gratuities
- Expenditures of a personal nature, drinks and meals or items not stated explicitly in the program
- Any alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, mineral water, camera/video camera fee (if any)
- Travel Insurance or any loss or extra cost arising due to unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays, accidents, etc.
- Day 1, Check-in time is 02:00 pm. Clients arriving in the middle of the night must book a pre-night as they will not be permitted to wait in the hotel lobby
- Day 5, the drop-off is at Nairobi City Centre or JKI Airport at 01:00 pm approx. (flights to be booked 04:00 pm onwards)
- No refund for unused services. Splitting of the package is not allowed
- We reserve the right to change itineraries and activities due to weather conditions, technical problems or security reasons
- Early check-in, late check-out, connecting or adjoining rooms in the hotel are subject to availability and not guaranteed
- Park fees may change without prior notice. This is beyond our control and any increase levied will have to be covered by the client
- Due to limited luggage space in vehicles, suitcases are unsuitable for scheduled road safaris. We recommend luggage packed in inexpensive barrel/sausage bags or soft-sided bags not exceeding 15kg and 65×46 cm. Excess luggage can be handed over to the representative at the time of briefing. It will be handed over to you on your return from the safari. Additional costs may apply to pick up drop off luggage at specific points
What do I need to bring?
Passengers should bring only soft-sided bags on safari. Passengers arriving to Kenya may be asked to present a valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate. Travellers’ cheques are generally not accepted in east Africa. US banknotes cannot be older than 2004 and must have the latest security markings (large portrait of the president). Sun protection, sunglasses, a hat and mosquito repellent can be very useful during your stay.
Day 1 Nairobi:
- Standard Hotel Category = Safari Park Hotel or similar 4*
Day 2-3 Maasai Mara:
- Standard Hotel Category = Mara Sopa Lodge or similar 3.5*
Day 4 Lake Nakuru:
- Standard Hotel Category = Lake Nakuru Sopa Lodge or similar 3.5*
- Once ordered, this tour cannot be cancelled or refund or amended at any circumstances.
Day 1 : ARRIVAL NAIROBI
After landing at Nairobi Airport, a tour representative will meet and transfer you to the Safari Park Hotel or similar. Enjoy an afternoon at leisure, perhaps taking advantage of the services available at the hotel, an African-themed resort that features beautifully landscaped gardens and indigenous forest. All rooms are distinctively designed and decorated and have television, bathroom facilities, and private balconies. A visit to Nairobi city centre, which is just 10km away, is also an option.
Overnight in Nairobi.
Day 2 : MAASAI MARA NATIONAL RESERVE (280kms – 5hrs)
After breakfast, Safari briefing and travel towards Kenya’s fertile highlands and head down the Rift Escarpment on a road built by Italian prisoners during World War II. Keep an eye out for the charming chapel they built at the foot of the escarpment. Pass the futuristic Longonot earth satellite station as you head across the valley to Narok, and then travel through fields of wheat and barley, before reaching the Maasai Mara and Mara Sopa Lodge, in time for lunch. Afterwards, it’s time for the first game drive of the tour, returning to the lodge at sunset. At Mara Sopa Lodge, the accent is placed on both the indigenous Maasai people and on the fabulous wealth of wildlife, birdlife and natural flora seen in every direction. The lodge is located in the Oloolaimutia Valley and it blends into the surrounding hillside landscape. The décor features all the mod cons one would expect from a Sopa-styled lodge in the bush. The bedrooms are spacious, the large pool has wonderful views and there are evening wildlife films to enjoy. All this ensures a blissfully comfortable stay. In the evening, dinner is served at the lodge.
Overnight in Maasai Mara.
Day 3 : MAASAI MARA NATIONAL RESERVE (5-6 hrs on game drives)
Wake up to an early breakfast before departing for a morning game drive. The Maasai Mara National Reserve is home to millions of wild animals, including the fabled Big Five (lions, leopards, elephants, buffaloes and black rhinos) as well as antelopes, gazelles and wildebeest, amongst other animals. Return to the lodge for lunch and perhaps a siesta before setting off for an afternoon game drive and a visit to a Maasai village, heading back to the lodge as the sun sets. In the evening, dinner is served at the lodge.
Overnight in Maasai Mara.
Day 4 : MAASAI MARA – LAKE NAKURU (315kms – 6hrs)
Bid farewell to Maasai Mara after breakfast and travel across the ‘breadbasket’ of Kenya, where acres of wheat and barley dot the landscape as you head north to Narok, the capital of this part of Maasailand. Continue across the vast plains on the floor of the Rift Valley, keeping an eye out for herds of giraffes and gazelles as you head up the Maai Mahiu, before arriving at Lake Nakuru around midday. Once in the park, view game en route to the lodge. Following lunch and a siesta, enjoy an afternoon game drive in Lake Nakuru National Park, returning as the sun sets. The waters of Lake Nakuru are often coloured a shimmering pink, from the thousands of flamingos that line its shores. As well as all the beautiful flamingos, both black and white rhinos are being carefully protected and given a new lease of life in this 188-square-kilometre, fully fenced park. The rhino population numbers more than 50 and continues to multiply. The Rothschild’s giraffe is another rarity that can be seen here, and the park has its fair share of buffaloes, leopards, zebras, elands, waterbucks and lions. Lake Nakuru Sopa Lodge is located on a range of hills that form the western limits of Africa’s Great Rift Valley. The newest member of the Sopa family, Lake Nakuru Sopa Lodge offers spectacular views over the vastness of Africa and overlooks Lake Nakuru and its surrounding national park, a paradise for bird-watchers and wildlife lovers alike. In the evening, dinner is served at the lodge.
Overnight in Lake Nakuru.
Day 5 : LAKE NAKURU – DEPARTURE NAIROBI (180kms – 4hrs)
Following an early breakfast, continue to Lake Naivasha for a boat ride on the calm waters of this lake, in and around which you’ll see plenty more examples of local wildlife. Then, leaving the Rift Valley behind, proceed to Nairobi, where you’ll drop off to Jomo Kenyatta airport to take the flight to your onward destinations.